Saturday, December 15, 2007

One week home

I didn't realize it's been a week since we came home from Ukraine. Thank you, my blogging friends Tina and MoscowMom, for reminding me to post again!

We really enjoy being home with our kids, especially during holidays. It's so nice to be able to take Victoria to her music, dance and gymnastics classes, plan her upcoming birthday party, chat with Alex when he's available, etc. While we were in Ukraine, Alex was taking Victoria to her dance classes, and according to the studio owner, all teenage assistant teachers were lining up to see him come in :) His holiday break from school starts soon, and we are looking forward to spend more time with him. Even though he lives at home, we don't see him often as he's really busy at school. His Computer Engineering program at RIT (Rochester Institute of Technology) is one of the most rigorous, and he works really hard to earn his good grades!

Today at the music class Victoria just made my day. When her teacher asked her what she wants for Christmas, she said she’s getting a big sister! Isn't it sweet? She also had a visiting day at her dance studio this week, so I took several pictures and sent them to Raisa. She was very surprised to see that the dance class in America looks different :) The girls are not required to wear the same color leotards, the same color tights, the same color ballet shoes, and get this: they are doing the stretching exercises in the circle with the smiling teacher :)

We talk to Raya daily, and she's doing great, though every single time poor kid keeps asking when I'm coming to get her… Our court decree becomes final tomorrow, even though technically it will be Monday, since 10th day falls on the weekend. A new birth certificate can be issued without us, but a new passport is a different story. One of the documents required to apply for the passport is a notarized application signed by both parents. If you read my post about Notaries in Ukraine, you know, I'm not very fond of Ukrainian notaries :) We wanted to do this application while both of us were still in Ukraine, but of course none of the notaries wanted to do it for us until the court decree became final. Our great facilitator has several ideas on how to accomplish this, so hopefully it will work out. If you've been through this kind of situation before (when one parent flies home and the other finishes the paperwork), and you have any ideas, please let me know! I’m going to buy my plane tickets depending on the passport progress. Originally I planned to fly back after the Orthodox Christmas on January 7th, but looks like many offices are still closed until the “Old New Year” on January 13th (this is another Orthodox tradition), so I’ll probably fly the week of January 14th.

P.S. My friend Jim corrected me on my post about Wegmans. Looks like the “Ukrops” grocery store in Virginia has the best customer service in the nation. I’ll have to go to “Ukrops” one day and personally see the difference :) Isn’t it neat that the first 3 letters of “Ukrops” are identical to the first 3 letters of “Ukraine”?

11 comments:

Tina in CT said...

Thanks for the update of your week home. I can imagine that the kids are so happy to have Mom and Dad back home. It is so good that Raya is with your girlfriend Lena and that you can speak every day.

When Katya was 2 and we took the girls to see Santa at Macy's in NYC, she told Santa that she had her gift - her baby sister. Natalia was all of 10 days old and spent the day in NYC taking in the sights.

I can just imagine all the teenage girls when your son is there with Victoria as he is very handsome. They aren't used to seeing college men there.

Good luck on getting that US passport and necessary notorized documents. All the red tape is mind boggling!

Melissa E. said...

I am so glad that you can be in your home for Christmas. It will be so nice--especially for Victoria.

I hope all goes well figuring out the final details! I'm sure they will.

Ashley said...

Thank you for posting...I have been checking everyday and was so happy to see it! LOL I know it is hard on Raya and everyone involved, but very soon she will be home and enjoying those dance classes in America! :)

Leslie G said...

Our facilitator used his POA to get passports for our children. I didn't fly back to pick them up until they were ready..and they took over 2 weeks. (we traveled July-Sept 07) Maybe it depends on the region, person in charge, or how much is in the envelope as to whether or not you can do that???

Debora Hoffmann said...

I'll be watching and praying for this last part of your journey to bring Raya home. I can just picture her with a smiling dance teacher! :-)

I don't have your e-mail, but I would like to ask you a question about Ukrainian Russian versus the Russian spoken in Russia. I am wanting to learn Russian, and I'm wondering whether it's different in the two countries, even in some of the Cyrillic letters. My e-mail is hoffhouse at hotmail dot com. Thanks, Nataliya!

Kathy and Matt said...

I'm so glad you're enjoying this time with Alex and Victoria. And it's great that you can talk with Raisa daily.

Keep me posted on when you decide to go. We leave on 1/19. It would be incredible to meet in person in Kiev!

The O'Haras said...

That the blessings of Christmas with your "partial family" might be wonderful and that you might know that God's time line for bringing your family complete will be the right one. Prayers are what makes any family through the adoption process and you are in ours.

junglemama said...

I hope your facilitator's ideas work. Please keep us updated about the passport. :)

Steve & Julie said...

We just wanted to thank you for the comments on our blog. I (Julie) actually came across your blog before we left for Ukraine! It was wonderful being able to read about your journey, and how you are both actually from Odessa! We hope all goes smoothly on your journey back. Maybe our paths will cross as we'll be back in Ukraine about the same time as you. Our thoughts and prayers are with you!

Jim H. said...

I was just teasing you about Ukrops being better than Wegmans! But isn't it funny how attached you can get to a grocery store? btw...the Ukrop family is of Czech origin.

We are eager to follow you on your journey back and pray you don't encounter too much nonsense with all the "officials."

Phil and Robin said...

Hi Natalya,

I'm just now checking up on your blog. It sounds like things are going well for you guys, especially considering how the adoption climate has changed in Ukraine recently. Best of luck to you, and we'll keep checking your blog.

By the way, yes, Ukrainian notaries are a nightmare. You really have to be a pushy jerk to get anything done. But then all the Ukrainians waiting in the lobby will resent you, so there's no pleasant way to do anything. I always felt like I just wanted to disappear.

In other news, Ana's doing great! All the hassle and bureaucratic BS from UA seems like a distant memory. I'm sure things will work out for you as well. Just be persistent and firm, without being outwardly emotional. It's a tough balancing act, I know.
Vsego khoroshego,
-Phil