Monday, December 10, 2007

God Bless America!

Until we spent 3 weeks in Ukraine, we didn’t realize how blessed and fortunate we are, and how much we take for granted. Even though we love our homeland, we are truly American now and couldn’t wait to go home to our beloved America! By the way, the locals in Ukraine couldn’t detect that we are foreigners now! We even gained our Odessa’s accent back according to our friends :)

Our JetBlue plane touched down at the Rochester airport late Friday night. It was soooo good to see Alex waiting for us! He drove us home, and – surprise – he didn’t drive in the wrong lane, didn’t honk at other drivers, made a right turn from the right lane, followed a speed limit, had a seat belt on, etc. It was a nice change compare to Ukrainian drivers :) Victoria was asleep by the time we got home, but the look on her face when she saw us next morning, was priceless, as she didn’t know we were coming!

At home we were able to enjoy very simple things like taking a shower and not holding it by hand (all Ukrainian showers are handheld), having a big cup of coffee, etc. Next morning I drove my own car (yeah!!!) to Wegmans. For those of you who don’t know, Wegmans is a supermarket chain with the headquarters in Rochester. Its customer service is the best in the nation, and for us, Rochesterians, going to Wegmans is not just a grocery shopping, it’s an experience. All out-of-town visitors are getting a tour as a part of the sightseeing! Anyway, Victoria and I went to Wegmans where she gave me a tour in case I forgot something :) “Mama, do you remember where the cookie club is? Let me show you” (cookie club gives the kids a free cookie on each visit to the store). “Mama, do you remember where the kids club is? Let me show you” (the kids club is a free service allowing parents to drop kids off for an hour while they are shopping). So, as you can see, we truly enjoyed our first days home.

We already miss Raya, but luckily she stays with our friend Lena, so we can call her at any time! We already talked to her several times, and she’s doing very good! I’m hoping to fly back to get her in the beginning of January after the Orthodox Christmas.

And here are a couple of pictures we took the last couple of days in Odessa:

16 comments:

Tina in CT said...

Love the update and pictures. You have three beautiful (I should say handome for your son) children.

You must be very relieved that Raya is able to stay with your girlfriend now and you are able to call and talk often.

The time will fly by with our holiday season and then before you know it, you'll be back flying over beautiful Iceland back to complete the adoption for your daughter. I hope you won't have to be there too long until you can bring her home to a big US welcome with your other two children, family and friends.

Yes, we are very fortunate to be Americans and live in such a wonderful country. We all came from somewhere and at different years in our country's history. You and Oleg came with the shirts on your backs and look at what you have accomplished!

Wegman's sounds like a great store.

Is there a large concentration of former Ukranians in the Rochester area? I know there are a lot of Germans as friends of mine are from there and they came to the US from East Germany with their parents back in the late 50's.

Rachael said...

Welcome Home!

I have family in your area. My brother works at RIT. I've been to Wegman's when visiting them, and I agree, it's a special place! :)

Ashley said...

So glad you and Oleg made it home safely! I loved reading the story of you and your daughter at the store. I need to come visit you and have you give me a tour of Wegman's. It sounds great! Your children are absolutely gorgeous! I know you will be happy to bring your precious daughter home! I will be praying for all of you. :)Thank you for keeping up with us and leaving me comments. I have really enjoyed them.

The O'Haras said...

Oh it is so good to know that even though you are Ukrainian that truly there is no place on earth like the USA. I was reading the Hale's blog and he was stating that his daughters don't get it yet. I am sure it is a hard thing to grasp until you have been here a while and then go back...it is at that point that you can realize what you came from. Welcome home and enjoy the holidays...cause life is going to change come the start of the year ;)

Unknown said...

Welcom home. I think its so cool will be home isn't. When you'll fly back and take Raisa home?


I will be praying for all of you.

Kathy and Matt said...

Sounds like coming home was the perfect remedy to homesickness. I can just imagine Victoria's face when she saw you.

Sometime, I'm going to have to bring Sarah out to meet you and Victoria. Your story of going to the store and getting the kid's cookie sounds so much like our life.

Glad you have some time at home and that Raisa's with a friend. The time will go quickly and she'll be home with you soon!

Anonymous said...

All this time I've been reading your blog off and on and it never clicked with me that you were in Rochester! WOW! Steve's parents live there. Next time we visit, I would love to meet you for a soda somewhere - maybe we can even meet up at Wegmans! LOL Beth

MoscowMom said...

Welcome home!!!! Oh, just imagining Victoria's face in the morning makes me so happy...

I've been pretty swamped these past two weeks, but I'll be going back to comment on your trip--I loved reading about it!!

HAPPY HOLIDAYS!

Melissa E. said...

I am finding out just how much I love being American. I am trying to be open-minded because America is all I know so the familiar colors my judgment but I laughed to read about your big cup of coffee! I ordered a plain coffee the other day and got, of course, an espresso, which I do not like! So Steve drank mine and his!
I am hoping our next place has a bigger hot water tank!

adoptedthree said...

It probably is nice to be home, before returning. We really do take too many things we love for granted when we are somewhere else.

I saw your message you left about your dad being named Vitaly. That is cool! Did I ever tell you his family was originally from Odessa as well and then moved to Ternopil. That makes two of my cuties with Odessa roots.

Jane said...

welcome back home and congratulations on your successful court outcome. I bet you can't wait to all be together again

Brian, Pamela, Angelina said...

Congratulations!! You have a beautiful family that is now complete with Raya joining you in the US. We felt exactly the same when we touched back down on US soil nearly a year ago. It was interesting to read about what your advantages and disadvantages were with both of you being from the Ukraine. God bless you all.
Brian, Pamela and Angelina
www.patientperseverance.blogspot.com

Jim H. said...

Your journey is a unique one amongst adoptive families and it has been such a joy to follow you.

I must correct you though....Ukrops grocery store in Richmond has the best customer service in the nation!

But I'm sure Raya will be stunned when she goes to Wegmans! Galyna rode in the baby seat when she came last summer and our girls still love grocery shopping.

junglemama said...

Thanks for the pictures. Glad to hear you made it home safely.

MoscowMom said...

Please post again soon! I'm so curious to hear what Victoria is up to; how she was while you were gone and how's she's feeling about Raisa's arriving soon. Will your son be leaving for college in the fall? I'm glad they'll have at least half a year to really get to know each other first :-)

Tina in CT said...

I just read my daughter's comment and agree. I check your blog all the time and am also waiting to hear all your news.