Saturday, December 1, 2007

Homesick

We are homesick. We knew it’s not going to be easy, but we didn’t realize it’s going to be that hard. It doesn’t help that we are having issue after issue and there is no end in sight. At this point we don’t even know when our court date is going to be. We miss our kids - it’s extremely hard to be without them for such a long time. We miss our house and our friends. I’m dreaming of being able to go to Wegmans, drive my own car, have my first morning cup of coffee at work, and even speak English :)

On a more positive note, we are spending a lot of time with Raya. She’s staying with us, so we are taking her to school in the morning, and picking her up in the afternoon. We are learning new things about her every day! She’s a good eater – you wouldn’t believe how much this tiny girl can eat! I think I eat about 4 times less :) I guess it’s common for the kids from orphanages – many adoptive parents shared their observations about it. Raisa loves to watch TV – especially soap operas :) She stayed in a very orthodox religious internat (orphanage) where the kids were not allowed to watch TV, so now she’s ready to watch it 24 by 7. For now I think it’s okay, but when we get home, we’ll have to limit her TV time. She also loves to color. We brought several coloring books for her as well as some kindergarten books I usually work with Victoria. We are using simple “color by number” or “connect the dot” projects as a starting point to learn English. Since we are speaking Russian all the time, her English is not improving very fast, but we are not worried about it. As soon as she immerses in English in school, she’ll pick it up very fast.

We are continuing to explore the city. There are 4 ways to get around in Odessa: trolley bus, tramway, bus or private car. Trolley buses and tramways are the least expensive – only 0.5 grivna (10 cents), but they are always so full, it’s almost impossible to get in. We tried one of each just for fun, but decided that this transportation is not for us. So- called “marshrutka” buses are supposed to be a more luxury means of transportation. They replaced regular buses about 15 years ago, you can read about the history of marshrutkas on this Wikipedia page. The ticket costs 1.25 grivna (25 cents), and there are a little bit less people than in trolley buses or tramways, but they are still very full. If we can’t get into marshrutka, we take the 4th option – a taxi. You can call a taxi by phone, or you can simply raise your hand, and one of the old “lada” cars will definitely stop and take you to your destination (of course people driving Lexus or Mercedes usually don’t stop :) It will be cheaper than taxi, and the drivers will earn some gas money We usually say the price we are willing to pay prior to boarding, so that there is no confusion later.

Here are some pictures:



Please keep us in your thoughts and prayers - we really need this court session soon! And thank you SO MUCH to all of you for your comments, messages, calls and prayers. It means A LOT to us to hear from home!

13 comments:

Tina in CT said...

Imagine my shock on my first morning in Moscow when my daughter and the girls took me out. We walked to the corner and my two year old granddaughter stuck her arm out. I almost died! She was hitchhiking. In Moscow private citizens stop to pick up people for a negotiated fare and they are called gypsy cabs. There are not enough regular cabs in the city and they are a lot more expensive. It sure was a culture shock to an American grandma.

It's very good that Raisa is able to stay with you so the bonding has started as you get to know each other better.

I just can't understand why court dates, etc. are not arranged by the agencies before the parents fly over. Talk about red tape! I hope things improve and you get your date very soon.

There were snow flurries this AM here in CT as I was frantically trying to empty my last pots with dead mums to get them put in the cellar before the freezing rain and snow tomorrow. Now the sun is shinning an hour later.

Shelley said...

It's so great that Raisa is getting to stay with you! Hopefully you will get news on a court date soon & things can start to move faster for you. I love all the pictures!

Melissa E. said...

Oh, Natalyia! I can't imagine being in your shoes and yet, I will be--so soon! I completely sympathise with the homesickeness! I am getting little pangs of it myself and I haven't even left yet!

I wish I could just go and be excited completely but I can't help but think about how much I will be missing our girls here!

Anyway, You aren't supposed to talk about home to someone who is homesick, or so they told me when I was a camp counselor once upon a time...

I am glad things are going so well with Raya. Even though you are related, she must have never really known you since you left around the time she was born!

It is good that you can speak Russian with her. I feel bad that the kids usually completely forget their old language when they come to America. Since you can speak Russian, maybe she will be able to simply add the English and still keep her first language!

How are the kids holding up? Are you able to talk with them by videophone? (skype)
Our laptop has a webcam and so we have fixed things up so that we can talk with the girls and see them at the same time --IF-- we have a good internet connection wherever we are! (Maybe that should be part of our criteria for which file we choose..."excuse me, these children look nice, do they come with cable internet?" I know; I'm bad.

I will be praying for you and Oleg!
Soon this chapter will end. Then the new one will present its own difficulties, won't it? But at least then you'll all be together again.

I need to go and work on the lawn with Steve. This is our We're-not-leaving-the-outside-until-it
-looks-perfect day. Personally, I don't care all that much but Steve...well, he's nesting!

keep you chin up!

adoptedthree said...

That is great that Raisa is bonding and able to be with you. What memories that will hold!

Jim H. said...

I am so sorry you are having such difficulty. We check your blog daily and will continue to ask God for his mercy as you face what seems to be more than the average hassle.

Love from all the Hales.

Kathy and Matt said...

I'm so sorry to hear about all the issues you're dealing with and the time it's adding to your trip. And it's understandable why you're feeling homesick.
It is good that you're having so much time to get to know Raisa and bond with her. At least that's a positive.
You're in my daily prayers.
I hope you can feel some of God's peace and comfort as your court date gets scheduled.

The O'Haras said...

My heart aches for you 3 and your kids back home as I read your blog this morning. I was oh so hoping that since you were from Odessa that things, not necessarily the process as I realize that is the government, but just simply the fact of being over there would be so much easier to handle. You truly are now Americans. You may be Ukrainian by birth, but you have become Americans by the oldest form...leaving your homeland in search of a better life. I so hope that you can return to your kids soon...not only will you be happy for the fact that your family is reunited, but you can have a finer appreciation for what your life does hold. You continue to be in our thoughts and prayers.

Kimbell and Mark said...

I'm sorry you're homesick - but one thing we talked about when we were over there was that it really is a great thing that we love our family and home so much that we really do miss it and long for it/them when we're away! Raisa looks adorable - what a blessing you will be to her - and her to you! Enjoy this transition time with her while she is in somewhat familiar surroundings.

kate said...

Praying for you. At least you're in Odessa--one of my favourite cities in the WORLD! I hope you're able to enjoy the rest of the stay in your old home before bringing Raisa to your new one.

Anonymous said...

Hi guys! We are checking your updates everyday. We were expecing that the system's wheels would be turning very slow but not this slow. I hope that you can speed it up somehow. We want you back! We wish we could call you. If there is a number where we can reach you please email it to us.

Anonymous said...

Hi there,

No court date yet, ha? I was hoping that it would be next week.

It's really (really 16--22 F) cold in here. The snow is on the ground, and kids are excited. I'm not.
Write me back when you know when your court date is, and whatever details you have. All is good at your house, Victoria is fine. Sanya was babysitting her the other day, as a pipe broke in nursery school, and you mom had a doctor's appt:)
Good luck.

Polina and the boys

ArtworkByRuth said...

Just a quick note to say we have been following your "progress" and continue to pray for your legal proceedings and your family. God Bless!

junglemama said...

I'm so sorry about the delays. When we adopted from Russia back in 2005 I got very homesick and we were there for only nine days total. I am very sympathetic. Stay optimistic and in prayer. God Bless.