Tuesday, December 4, 2007

From Prosperity to Despair

Ukraine is a country of social contrasts. There are ultra-rich people who drive Bentleys and buy $1000 neckties. And there are people who are struggling every day to make the ends meet. There is almost no middle class. Our friends are the perfect example – some of them are very wealthy, and the others are not sure whether they’ll have a dinner on the table every night.

There are lots of beggars on the streets. Unfortunately, it became a lucrative business, and very often mothers with infants asking for money, are not real mothers – they are just renting the babies for work. There are disabled people, who in many cases are not disabled, but are made up to look like disabled. And there are old people. These old women singing with mezzo-soprano voices for money, or old men, veterans of Great Patriotic War, playing the accordion, just break our hearts, and we always give them money. It’s very hard for the average Ukrainians to make the ends meet. The groceries prices in Odessa are very similar to ours. The prices for clothes are astronomical, I’m not even talking about the boutiques in downtown – they are always empty, I don’t know how they stay in business. I went to the children’s store, which was not the most expensive. Do you know how much is highchair? $260. Car seat? $350. Snowsuit? How about $330? It’s no wonder there are so many orphans in Ukraine – poverty is everywhere.

Despite the amount of money changing hands everywhere, Ukraine is still very much a cash society. People are getting their paycheck in cash, paying bills in person in cash, and of course using cash in the stores on the daily basis. Everybody seems to be very proficient when calculating money :) For example, if my purchase in the grocery store comes to 14.30 grivna, and I’m about to pay with the 20-grivna bill, the cashier will always ask me to give 30 additional kopiyka coins so that she can give me 6 grivna even as a change. In some cases it’s not as easy! For example, yesterday I bought something for 15.90 grivna. I was asked to give 1.15 grivna more in addition to my 20 grivna bill so that she could give me one bill of 5 grivna and one coin of 25 kopiyka back!

Here are a couple of other observations I made:

Everybody smokes in Ukraine. And they are smoking inside in their own apartments! Every time we are invited for dinner, the hosts are smoking at the dinner table! Though the last time we had dinner with friends, we finally made everybody to go outside to smoke, so at least we were able to inhale a clean air for a change :)

The wedding rings are worn on the right hand. I think it comes from Russian Orthodox Church, though people of all religions wear it on the right hand. The wrong perception there is that only Catholics are wearing their wedding rings on the left hand. When we moved to the States I started wearing my ring on the left hand, as everybody else. Guess what? One of my dear friends finally asked me yesterday: “I apologize, but did you convert to Catholicism?” And I explained that people of all religions wear their wedding rings on the left hand in America, whether they are Jewish, Christian, Catholic or others.

The superstitions are still the same, and even more. I forgot some of the customs I recently wrote about! One of our friends showed me the picture of his 15-year old daughter. Of course I oohed and aahed and said how beautiful his daughter is. He immediately started knocking on the wood and pretending to spit over his left shoulder! I totally forgot that you are not supposed to say good things about the children, even as old as 15 :)

And finally I have a bit of good news. There is a real possibility that we’ll have a court session this week. But I’m afraid to jinx it, so I won’t say anything more :) Stay tuned!

15 comments:

Unknown said...

Sounds like you're having an interesting time! Hope all goes well this week! We miss your smiling face here at work!
Take care!
Bob

adopting2fromUkraine said...

I've always been told the wedding ring is worn on the left hand because it is closest to your heart.

Love all the pictures!

Chris and Virginia said...

Oops, knock on wood and spit over your left shoulder (to counter jinx). The good comments on children is a new one to me. I'm saddened to hear that.

Wearing the wedding band on the left hand seems to be a European thing. While I was in Germany and travelling the surrounding countries, they also wore their wedding band on the left hand. Curious that they think only Catholics wear their bands on the right.

We're pulling for you to have your court date this week. Our thoughts and prayers are with you.

junglemama said...

Nataliya, I am enjoying your posts. You bring Ukraine to live for me! Thank you!

I hope you get a courtdate this week. :)

Kathy and Matt said...

Thanks for sharing your insights on the people and culture.

Looking forward to hearing good news related to court.

You're in my thoughts and prayers.

adoptedthree said...

My UA friend told me in Ukraine wearing your ring on the left hand represented that you were divorced.

Anonymous said...

I've been keeping up with your adventures and enjoying your photos. Raya is a beautiful little girl - you three look perfect together!

We miss you at work and look forward to a speedy return. Good luck with the court date this week - my fingers, toes and eyes are crossed : )

Kelly said...

Hahahahahahahahahahahaha. Nataliya, your posts always make me laugh so much! I wish you luck with court (tut, tut, tut - that is me spitting over the left shoulder!) I check your blog every day to see how you are. I love your insights on how things have changed...or not changed. FASCINATING TO ME! :-) Please eat a chocolate covered smoked plum for me - YUM! And, of course, knock knock knock - that is me knocking on wood in case I mistakenly said something to jinx you in this comment! - Kelly

Tina in CT said...

I noticed the same thing in Holland and German as many people wore their rings on their right hands. When I asked my Dutch cousins why this is, he told me that Catholics wear their wedding rings on their left hands.

My daughter has told me about the extremes from "haves" to "have nots" in Moscow so it is the same there. When she and the girls were visiting friends in the very rural Ukraine this summer, they saw such poverty. Check her blog from the summer. It is amazing how people get buy when things are so expensive - over $300 for a child's snowsuit!

I did see people begging with babies or small children. My son-in-law told me the same as in your blog on how people use other people's child while they are begging. What is even more disturbing is that they might be drugged to sit placidly. We just are not used to seeing that here and it is so horrific to us.

On a lighter note, I hope you do get your court date this week so that you can move along on the road to bringing Raisa home to the States.

Robb said...

So nice your able to spend time with your classmates. Looks like your having a great time. I really enjoy your pictures of Odessa. Raya is a beautiful girl and I bet you can't wait to get back home with her. Your doing a great job with your blog! Good Luck!

Unknown said...

Natasha,
Sorry to hear about all the problems you have to deal with. All will turn out fine, I believe in that with all my heart. It's turned really cold with strong wind blowing the snow, so you should at least enjoy the weather in Odessa and the Black Sea. You have a long winter ahead of you here in Rochester. What is the time difference now with Ukraine?If you would like to install Skype we can chat sometimes. http://www.skype.com/helloagain.html
I wish you luck. Hope you will get the court date this week and all the pain will just end with a happy ending. I really enjoy your blog, and try to read it when I get a moment (you know, there is no spare time at all). I can't wait to talk to you in person or at least on the phone. GOOD LUCK!!! Sveta.

Jim H. said...

Can the Ukrainians detect whether you are no longer a local?

Your observations are fascinating. Hoping and praying you get the court date very soon.

Melissa E. said...

You're afraid to jinx it? are those old superstitions taking hold again?!!! ;-)

I will be pulling for your court appointment!

We all seem to be amused about the wedding ring thing...me included. hmmm...

kate said...

fingers crossed for the unmentionable longed for event later this week...

when shops (usually restraunts) here are empty all time it's assumed that they're mafia. of course, the malls here (we have two) are deserted during the week and packed on the weekends. no matter what day, they're too expensive for me!

hang in there.

Anonymous said...

I hope no update today means you are moving forward with your court date! I've been enjoying reading about your experiences. Hope you will be able to come home soon . . . we miss you here at CSH.