Sunday, January 20, 2008

The weekend

We had a great weekend with Raisa. On Saturday we went to the "Privoz" market for a little retail therapy :) Privoz used to be a food only market, but now it's a huge complex with lots of stores and individual sellers where one can buy everything: you name it, they've got it. When I visited Privoz in December, I totally forgot about pick-pocketers and lost some small amount of grivna from my pockets :) This time I was very vigilant and made sure all my grivna stays where it belongs :) In addition to the clothes sellers we visited the meat, cheese, fish markets, etc. The food sellers always let you try everything they sell. When I was growing up, we would try everything - delicious cheese, smoked meat, farmers cheese, etc. We didn't need lunch afterwards :) Though this time I thought I'd better pass on trying unknown food!

After dinner I called my friend Tami, and we went to see the downtown area at night. It's absolutely beautiful! The New Year's and Christmas lights are still on, and there are lots of people on the streets enjoying the sights. Though I have to say that the alleys in the courtyard of Tami's apartment are absolutely dark and scary, but we were brave enough to go through both alleys with no problems :)

Today we went to the Opera Theater! One of my friends got us a couple of tickets for the children's musical "Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs". It was a great performance, and both Raya and I enjoyed it. It was obviously geared towards children, and the actors tried to make it as interactive as possible. Every time they asked the audience a question, Raisa along with other kids would enthusiastically yell "Da" or "Net". It was very cute. The theater was closed for several years for reconstruction, and just reopened last summer. It was gorgeous, when I visited it many years ago, but now it's breathtaking.

After performance we went out to dinner with my classmates. It was a ladies only night, and we enjoyed our evening at one of the restaurants in the "Afina" mall in downtown. Of course, Raisa was the center of attention, and she loved every minute of it!

I was able to borrow a USB cable at one of the photo stores (at no charge!), so I finally uploaded some pictures. This album doesn't have the latest pictures of the Opera Theater, but tomorrow after chasing the paperwork I'll try to borrow the cable again and upload the latest pictures.

7 comments:

Tina in CT said...

Again, what a beautiful (and clean)city Odessa is.

Love the pictures of Raisa. What a gorgeous coat she has on.

It's nice that you are taking such good pictures of Odessa for later years.

Rachael said...

Beautiful pictures. Sounds like you're having a nice time waiting it out there in Odessa too.

Anonymous said...

I'm thinking of you a LOT and praying for you a LOT as you resume the paperchase this week. So glad to hear you've been able to spend some time with Tami. Can't wait to hear you're on your way home with Raisa.

Unknown said...

Hi guys. I like a pictures. I see you have a good time. When you'll be home?

Is it cold in Odessa now?

Have a good time in Odessa before you'll leaving.

Our Family said...

Very interesting to follow your updates and thanks for the pictures! Can't wait to visit Odessa when we're in Ukraine. Hope you and Raisa get done quick and are heading home.

Phil and Robin said...

Hi Natalyia,

We're were thinking of calling you on the way to Daycare tomorrow. Be Prepared 'cause it might happen! :-)
I think it will be late afternoon there in our lovely Ukraine.

I don't know how well our little Ana will behave, but well at least say hello. And we can only hope to hear from RAISA. I bet she makes my Russian sound laughably bad!

Regards,
Phil
PS. Pls feel free to use our email address for future correspondence.

PPS. Pls. send some solyanka, borsch, pelmeni, etc. :-)

Annie said...

My responses to your photos (Thanks for sharing!)So beautiful! Makes me miss Russia even more. I love the "retrospective" on your wedding! Raisa is adorable - and has the most beautiful coat! The food you and Tami had at your lunch looks delicious!!