Thursday, January 17, 2008

Making progress!

When Oleg and I came to Odessa almost 2 months ago, it took us a while to get used to the fact that we are indeed in our hometown. After spending more than half of our married life (11 years out of 20) in the States, and totally assimilating in our new country, it was really hard to believe that we are back in the city where we grew up. Every day we would walk the beautiful downtown streets and shake our heads in disbelief – is that really happening? Are we really back?



This time it’s totally different for me. It feels like I’ve never left! Everything looks familiar, I know where to go, I know how to behave, and I even speak on my cell phone while riding the bus, though not as loud as the other fellow riders :) But yesterday I really remembered my childhood. There was no water in our apartment! When we were growing up, the water was turned off from midnight to 6:00 a.m. every single day. Odessa never had enough water, and it was a measure taken to conserve it. In addition to that, we almost never had hot water during summer time, and there were sporadic cold water outages at any time. But it was OK! The key was to have enough water saved for emergencies. I think I only recently stopped reminding myself to take the shower before midnight while the water is on :)



Well, enough reminiscing! Let me tell you about an important stuff! We started the day at 8:00 by taking Raya to school. The next stop was at the bank to pay the official passport dues. We couldn’t pay them at any bank. We were only supposed to pay them at a specific branch in a specific place. Oh well – we waited in line and received the coveted proof of our payment. Then we went to legalize the birth certificate. There was no line (surprise!), our paperwork was accepted (can you believe that?), and we were told to pay the official dues at a specific bank branch (of course! ) and come back later. Well, this branch didn’t accept payments on Thursdays (how weird is that?), but somehow we were able to persuade the teller to accept our payment. While we were waiting for our legalized birth certificate, we went to the notary office to fill out a passport application. Guess what? Of course, the first notary didn’t like the power of attorney Oleg wrote for me. No problem. We went to another one. Same result. The third one. Nope. Finally we went to the passport office and asked if they can accept Oleg’s power of attorney. They agreed! So I went to the fourth notary office and filled out an application, which only listed Raisa’s mother, i.e. myself :) Then back to get a legalized birth certificate, then to the Tax IDs office, where we received Raisa’s Tax ID, back to school to pick her up, and finally by 5:15 we were back at the Passport office ready to apply for the passport! The office was open until 6:00 p.m., and there was still a huge line of people waiting. But it was a lucky day for us. WE APPLIED FOR THE PASSPORT! They accepted all our paperwork, took Raya’s picture and told us to call back on Monday!



We finished the day at the great restaurant in the City Garden (Gorsad), where I had the most delicious ribs in my life :) The only drawback of this great day was that my poor feet ended up with blisters from walking too much :) Tomorrow I’m planning to take a vacation day :)

18 comments:

Kathy and Matt said...

I love it when you share your memories of your life in Ukraine! But more importantly, I'm so happy things went well today and that you've applied for the passport. Congrats!
Take that break tomorrow and just enjoy yourself while there.

We leave in 2 days. I'm feeling a bit stressed today, but I know we'll get all we need done by tomorrow. I guess if we don't, we're out of luck!

Jim H. said...

This is great stuff Nataliya, and it's so good to see that you're navigating through all the crazy stuff that seems to plague everyone at the end of the process. I'm curious to know how people respond to you when they find out you're an American now?

Rachael said...

Sounds like a very productive day! Yeah, good for you...one step closer to home.

So, I'm curious, what type of shoes were you doing all this walking around in? Did you "blend" with the locals and wear high heels?

Rachael said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Anonymous said...

Sounds like you made great progress! Hope to see you home soon!

Polya and the boys

Tina in CT said...

What a stressful day but it all worked out well in the end.

Hope you ditched the high heeled boots if you were wearing them and put on a regular pair of flat Lands End type snow boots or sneakers to soothe your aching feet.

You deserve a vacation day tomorrow.

Raisa must be getting so excited to leave, join the rest of her family and begin her new life in NY.

I look forward each day to your updates.

Ashley said...

YAY for progress! I am so excited for you and that the day will be coming soon for you and Raisa to return home.

I loved reading how Raisa was so excited to see you! How sweet!

The O'Haras said...

Congratulations! I am so happy you got the paperwork submitted for the passports and that is great that they are telling you to check back on Monday. It isn't even that bad of a walk for you to the passport office. You are in our thoughts and prayers while being away from the rest of your family. God Bless

Chris and Virginia said...

Isn't it wonderful when things work out the way they should. The little hiccups are more of a nuisance than a problem. If this keeps up, you are going to get out of there in no time. Just when you were getting more enjoyment out of being there; go figure.

Thanks for sharing your thoughts and look forward to an easy trip home for you two.

By the way, Happy New Year as I hadn't said this before now.

Courtney said...

Woohoo! You're almost done! :) :)

cara said...

Wow! You got a lot accomplished in one day, especially in Ukraine.
I hope you enjoy your day off-eat lots of the Milka chocolate bars with the toffee in it-----MY favorite!

Zack, Jenn and William said...

What a great day - you're getting close!!!!

Tami said...

I'm so glad it worked out so well for you yesterday. And it was wonderful to meet you today!!! I hope we can visit again before you go home.

Tonya said...

Wonderful! It sounds like things are FINALLY going your way:):):).

Can't wait to hear that you and your new "baby" are on your way home!

adopting2fromUkraine said...

It must feel really great to be in the final stretch of the adoption. It will only be days now before you both get to come home for good!

ArtworkByRuth said...

Congratulations on such a successful day! It does seem like a different place from your last trip!

Leslie said...

Very soon you'll be looking back on all of this and it will feel like such a long time ago.Praying things go smoothly!

Tina in CT said...

It must have felt like meeting up with an old friend for both you and Tami with all you both have been through on your adoption road. So wonderful that you both were in the same city at the same time. I get there were warm hugs and tears of joy between you two.