Sunday, January 13, 2008

Leaving in 10 hours

I was so looking forward to flying JetBlue to JFK: comfy leather seats, individual TV channels and extra legroom. It wasn’t meant to be! About an hour ago, just before I wanted to check the status of my flights, the phone rang! It was an automated message by JetBlue airline calling to inform me that my flight to New York is cancelled and I can get a full refund. Let me tell you: it’s not the first time one of my flights is cancelled when I’m about to fly abroad :) It happened to me last year when I went to France on business trip, and I was freaked out then – how I’m supposed to make my connection if my flight is cancelled? Now I took the news in stride and started calling JetBlue. It was not easy, as many other customers did the same thing, so the time on hold was very long. To make the long story short, I received a refund from JetBlue and booked a Delta flight at exactly the same time as my JetBlue flight was – 11:40 am. Though this flight is twice more expensive because I bought it in less than 24 hours before departure :(

Anyway, my 5:45 p.m. flight to Vienna by Austrian Airlines is still in the “scheduled” status, so I hope it will stay the same :) This flight arrives to Vienna at 8:40 in the morning, and my next flight to Odessa departs at 11 a.m., so I have about 2.5 hours between the flights. Since Vienna’s airport is relatively small, I hope I’ll be able to make my connection on time. My final flight arrives to Odessa at 2pm Ukrainian time on Tuesday.

This time I’m taking only one suitcase (with empty duffel bag inside for Raisa’s clothes), and not even a carry-on, except for a laptop bag and my purse. Raisa doesn’t have much, so the duffel bag should have enough room for her possessions. I was shopping like crazy these weeks, buying all kinds of clothes, though I’m afraid everything will be too big for her. She’s 10 years old, but very tiny, so she can still fit size 8. I was buying size 10-12, but if that’s too big, I guess it won’t be long before she can wear it.

It was a very busy week for us with my preparations for the trip, and numerous activities with Victoria. We registered her for kindergarten, attended 2 birthday parties for her friends and watched her music class production of “3 Piggy Opera”. I’ll miss the parent-teacher conference at her preschool, but luckily Oleg stays home this time, so he’ll hold the fort for both of us in my absence.


17 comments:

The O'Haras said...

Know that you are in our thoughts and prayers as you finish this leg of the journey up and move onto being a new family of 5. May it go quickly and you return safely very soon!

Tami said...

Ooooh...that hurts. I'm glad you were able to get the new flight worked out so quickly - even though it was so much more expensive.
How exciting to be almost done with this journey. If you have time while in Odessa give me a call. I'd love to meet you (for real.) ;)
My cell number is - 8 095 826 7889

Phil and Robin said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Tina in CT said...

How horrible to have the Jet Blue flight cancelled so close to the scheduled departure. Fortunately you were able to find another flight but a bummer it was double the price. The airline should have to pay the difference. I hope the rest of your trip to Odessa goes without a snag.

Adorable pictures from Victoria's production. I'm glad that you were home for it.

Rachael said...

One suitcase? I'm impressed!

Safe travels to you. Hopefully that will be your one and only snag from here on out. (Knocking on wood over here.) (Not sure if there are any Ukranian superstitions about well wishing before traveling!)

Zack, Jenn and William said...

Praying for safe travels and a smooth transition for everyone in the family!!

Anonymous said...

I'm praying for you! Sorry to hear about the JetBlue flight, but very glad you got a flight from ROC to JFK at the last minute. You're on your way, girl! I'm so happy for you! We started Anna out on size 6X/7 when she got home 5 months ago and now her size 8's are getting small on her. Raisa will grow quickly, too, I'm sure! She'll be in all those 10/12's before you know it.

adopting2fromUkraine said...

You'll be arriving in Ukraine just after we leave on Tuesday. (from Kiev) We still don't know how long the birth certificate will take.

Our little girl is almost twelve and wears an 8 in jeans.

Best wishes and hope that your time here will be short.

cara said...

You are in our prayers-hopefully things will move smoothly for you two. God bless, Cara

Our Family said...

Good Luck Natalia! Hope everything goes smooth with the paperwork and you are home shortly. It will soon be over!

Mike & Tara said...

Good luck!!! We are so happy for your family!

Kathy and Matt said...

Hope all goes well on your flight. I have your cell phone number and hopefully we can connect in Kiev if our schedules overlap accordingly.

All the best as you bring Raisa home!

junglemama said...

Hope you have a wonderful trip.

BTW, I just added you to my blogroll. Hope it's okay.

Jim H. said...

Hope you have smooth sailing getting outta there! Have fun and keep us posted. We are all so excited for you and your family!

Anonymous said...

Hi Nataliya,
I missed your post on Sunday... hopefully your trip was good and you are already in Odessa. Best of luck in this last phase of getting Raisa (Rachel) home!
Thanks so much for allowing me to read along... if i ever get our paperwork done, hopefully we can use many of your wonderful tips (especially travel and cell phones:-) for our Ukraine adoption!
Best Regards,
(another) Rachel

Leslie said...

Wow, can it really be time for you to go back??? We are praying for you!

Kelly said...

Hi Nataliya!!! I bet you are already in Odessa and ready to come home with Raisa! We leave on Monday the 21st for Kiev (if our flight is not cancelled, haha!) and we will be in Kiev on Tuesday the 22nd. If you will be there, please email me with your phone number in Ukraine and we will call you!!!!!! Best of luck to you and Raisa as you travel!!!!