Sunday, November 18, 2007

Hello from JFK

Hi everyone, we are at JFK waiting for our flight to Kiev. While Oleg is checking out all the numerous duty free shops here, I've decided to update the blog. We flew to JFK by JetBlue, and the flight was fabulous – plenty of legroom, individual TVs with dozens of channels, we were very happy customers. We’ve never used JetBlue before, but we’ll definitely fly them again.

After collecting our luggage, we took a cart to put it on, and let me tell you, it was the best $3 we've ever spent :) We took a train to a terminal #4 where Aerosvit is located and found out that our flight is delayed for 4 hours. This is very normal for me :) Every time I fly, at least one of the flights needs to be cancelled or delayed, so I wasn’t even surprised. Then we started looking for the Aerosvit check-in counter, and it was very easy to find: most of the people in line spoke Russian! It was so cool! But the coolest thing was that we've got the meal vouchers from Aerosvit! It's the first time in my experience when the airline gave out the vouchers because of the delay! So now we are about to spend them :) With the delay we are expected to arrive to Kiev at about 4pm their time on Monday. It still gives us enough time to rest before our appointment on Tuesday.

We were very surprised to find out that free Internet connection is not available at JFK. At least we couldn't find it. The only wireless network we could connect to, required a payment, and of course we paid because I'm addicted to the Internet :)

Thank you so much to all of you for the words of support and best wishes! It means a lot to us!

13 comments:

Melissa E. said...

Thanks for posting! I am an addict, too! I hope our region is wireless-ready!!!

19 days for us!!

Tina in CT said...

I did not expect to see a new posting but checked anyway. What a nice surprise to see your posting from JFK. Bummer about a four hour delay though. I was lucky when I flew over to Moscow as the flight was on time. Yes, those luggage carts are a blessing. I had a porter help me when I arrived at the airport (friends drove me down) as I had so much luggage and paid extra to bring things over for my daughter since they were living there. Hope your flight is quiet so that you and Oleg can sleep. I'll be thinking of you tomorrow knowing that you are on your homeland soil.

Kathy and Matt said...

By the time you read this, you'll be in Kiev.
How nice that you got a meal voucher. That is definitely unusual!
Hope you can sleep on the plane and I look forward to reading more as your trip progresses.

Leslie said...

Wow, you're much better with the 4 hour delay than I would have been! We had a huge layover (like 7 hours) at JFK and Robert actually took his boots off and laid down on one of those horrible concrete benches in the food court. I was mortified and amused all at the same time. I took video and will post it sometime. Hopefully Oleg will find a more dignified way to pass the time! Sleep well on the flight!

Unknown said...

hi NATALKA. We were happy to see your note already. Delay is not a cancellation! Hopfully the rest of your trip will be easy. We are waiting for good news. Our best wishes and good luck. Love, Sergey and Elena.

Shelley said...

Our Aerosvit flight out of JFK was delayed too. It ended up being 12 hours behind by the time we finally left JFK. My hubby flew home from Ukraine on Aerosvit & that flight was also delayed. I don't think they're very good with their schedule :)
Glad you made it safely to NY...we'll be looking for the next post from Kiev!

junglemama said...

Thanks for posting so soon! Hope your flight goes well!

Tami said...

Oooohh! You're on your way!!! Actually, by the time this posts you'll already be there! I can't wait to hear how everything went on the flight. I'll be stalking your blog today! ;>)

Debora Hoffmann said...

This is so exciting; I can't wait till you are in Ukraine! :-)

Robb said...

Great news to see your finally traveling to Ukraine for your little girl. Good luck and stay warm in Odessa. Have a safe journey.

The O'Haras said...

I didn't find any free internet in the airports we did either. Kyiv was the only place we paid for it though on the way out of the country. Glad you got a good meal before you left. I hope that your flight across the pond was ok and we are looking forward to the story that unfolds for you. In our prayers!

MoscowMom said...

Hey, NEIGHBOR! Wow, you're already here. Can't wait to hear how court went today.

Chris and Virginia said...

How exciting to see your journey finally in the air. We received a voucher once which was enough to buy a burger, fries and drink at McD's. I did step off a plane that was overbooked and took a $700 flight voucher, then caught the next plane 20 minutes later. Now that was a deal.

I hope you can get Internet access while traveling. We'll looking forward to hearing all about your experiences.

Cheers.