Sunday, November 25, 2007

Finally - some pictures

Our apartment has a dial-up connection, so I couldn’t upload the pictures before. But yesterday was the first day when we had some time, so we found a restaurant with free wireless connection and finally uploaded the pictures.

It was a great weekend – we were able to relax for the first time since we flew to Kiev last Sunday. We started Saturday morning by taking Raisa to the dance class. It was an eye-opening experience :) I thought I remember the difference between the teaching styles in former Soviet Union and America, but I did not :) When we came to the States, I was surprised how the dance and gymnastics teachers always say “good job” to the kids even in the cases when they don’t do such a good job. It is different in Ukraine – the praise has to be earned. Well, the dance class started, and the teacher started yelling! I’m not kidding! She yelled for an hour and a half! “You should be ashamed of yourself!”, “Go home if you can’t work hard!”, etc. She looked like a Nazi! I hope this woman is an exception because I have a very warm memories about my own dance teacher and Alex’s dance teacher, and I know that majority of dance teachers in Ukraine are ultimate professionals. Anyway, we told Raya, that her dance teacher in America will be very kind to her :)

After the dance class we went to see the sights. Downtown Odessa looks totally different now – it’s very beautiful and charming, and looks very European. Last year I was on business trip in Toulouse, France, and I think that Odessa is even more beautiful in my biased opinion :)

We saw lots of wedding parties next to the Opera House. I remember seeing pictures of Odessa weddings on Leslie’s blog, and I thought it would be cool to take some more pictures. I already told you that women in Ukraine love boots, but I didn’t know they love them that much to wear with the wedding dress :) Check out the pictures with the bride in blue boots!

Today we finally went down the memory lane – we went to Odessa University first, to the building of “Computer Science – Math” college (mehmat) I graduated from many years ago. Then we took “marshrutka” bus 133 to “Cheremushki” – the region where we grew up. This region didn’t change at all, it just looked different to us – the soviet style 5-stories apartment buildings looked very big when we grew up, but now they looked very small! We went to see our school #51, it was closed on Sunday, but we made some pictures. We also saw some old friends, so overall it was a perfect weekend.

Just some observations for those of you ready to go:

- Dress in layers. Most of the time it was very warm in all these places where we had to wait for the paperwork to be done, so it was very convenient to take off some layers.
- Make sure you wear very comfortable shoes, you’ll be walking a lot! I think we walked more this week than in the last 11 years :) Our leg muscles are screaming!


Here are some pictures from Kiev:


And from our first days in Odessa:


If you’d like to see bigger pictures, double-click the slide-show, and you’ll be able to see the pictures in a different, bigger window.

13 comments:

Kathy and Matt said...

I enjoyed seeing all the photos. The one of you and Oleg by the tree is wonderful!

Seeing the boots is amazing! (especially the blue ones with the wedding dress). I will definitely not fit in from a fashion sense. My desire for comfort overshadows my ability to be chic! Oh well. Thanks for the reminder about layering. We'll take that into account when we pack.

Tina in CT said...

What a beautiful city and yes, it looks very European. Everything looks so pristine and clean unlike NYC.

In most of the pictures, there was no sign of snow but one or two of them have snow.

I got a kick out of the blue boots with the bridal gown. I imagine it's a tradition to be photgraphed in the city square and also by the tree. That was great that you put the two of you and Oleg in the slideshow.

Raya will sure find a difference in her ballet class in NY. One of my coworkers is from the Ukraine and moved here in elementary school and she has told me about the differences in philosophy with school children regarding praise, competitiveness, etc. I hope her new ballet class will be equally challenging for her.

It must be wonderful to see your friends and all the familiar places from your childhood. I don't know if you still have close family still there in Odessa.

I hope you won't encounter any further red tape in your adoption process and that you three are flying back home in the shortest time possible.

I really enjoy reading your blogs and seeing the pictures.

Leslie said...

I am so thankful for the comments on your photos! You explained so many of the places we had been and seen! The statue of Catherine was shrouded before we left for the grand unveiling ceremony. We didn't get to see it, so I will walk over tomorrow and take a look. You actually took a photo of the building with my apartment! I can't believe we are that close! I took the 133 today to Kristina's orphanage. Just crazy! I'm so glad the two of you had a good weekend. Praying things go well this week!

Unknown said...

Hi everyone. Nice pictures. After eleven years it's so different isn't. Sometimes I very miss Odessa, I hope you understand me. Raya look so cute.

I hope you enjoy your time in Odessa. God bless you all.

Hi from Hale's family.

Jim H. said...

You and Oleg still look like models! I am very interested in learning more about your personal stories. What circumstances led to you leaving Odessa in the first place?

It is a privilege to follow your journey to your homeland. I pray for all God's blessings the rest of the way.

adopting2fromUkraine said...

Wonderful pictures! Raya looks like she will fit right in to your family.

junglemama said...

Thanks for sharing the photos!

The O'Haras said...

I am so glad that you are adjusting and that though you have good memories of home from long ago, that yes, you can see that things are much different then you remember, even after the past 10 years of "change". I have been curious if you now feel your boots were worth the take, especially after all the walking? The pictures immediately pulled me back to being there. Great that you can tell us now what some of the places we remember so well really mean.
Ah, bus 133....:| Do your layers work for that one. I was always so hot riding those darn things and there was never the elbow room to get a coat off. 133 ends down on General Petrova street doesn't it? I am just happy that you are there and that things seem to be going well. Drop me a real email if you want! I will chat more latter and know that you are in our thoughts and prayers...PS. The cow restaurant (steakhouse) has free wifi as well ;)

Mike & Tara said...

Thank you for the photos! Raisa is a beautiful girl and a wonderful addition to your family!! We loved the photo of you and Oleg now and 20 years ago.

Melissa E. said...

That bride in the blue boots did NOT look comfortable!

We went to a Ukrainian church here yesterday and even in America, the women wear those boots!

11days till we leave and I am starting to wake up an hour earlier every morning with my mind racing! Not with all I have to do, but with thoughts of leaving the girls, meeting the new children, the plane trips, ok, and some of what I have to get done!

I hope things continue to move along for you. I am sure you are having a wonderful time tempered by missing Victoria and Alex.

Loved the pictures. Especially your wedding photo and the picture of you now through the same tree! So cool!

Chris and Virginia said...

Thanks for sharing all the photos. What a beautiful new addition, Raisa. We're enjoying following you on your journey. What a wonderful looking family. We hope the paperwork goes smoother from here.

Tami said...

Thanks so much for sharing all of these beautiful photos. I especially loved the ones of you and Oleg by the tree.
I'm starting to be very thankful that I bought boots without much of a heel. ;)

Tonya said...

I LOVE those two pics of you and Oleg by the tree. That is so sweet! How neat to be able to take another picture there on the occasion of the adoption of your daughter:):):).