Tuesday, October 30, 2007

The Order of Toasts and 19 days to go

After I wrote about the customs and superstitions last week, my friend Kelly asked me to write about the order of toasts for gatherings. The following is Odessa's version, so it can be totally different in other parts of Ukraine :)

- Rule #1 - don't drink without toasting! You can be considered an alcoholic!

- The first toast is always for the occasion. If it's a birthday party - drink for the person whose birthday is celebrated.

- The second toast at a birthday party is for the parents of the person whose birthday is celebrated (if they are still alive)

- The third toast varies. Most of the time it's for the women present at the party. You can say in Russian "Za prisutstvuyuschih zdes dam"

- Then it's a good idea to toast relatives - you can separately drink for siblings of the person giving the party, his kids, grandparents, etc. - depends on the situation

- After all relatives are taken care of, people usually toast for friendship

- At some point of time, usually at the end of the party, the hosts will toast all guests. Sometimes it means the party is over, but not necessarily.

- If you are asked to give a toast, make sure you toast the health of the hosts.

If you don't want to drink, sometimes the hosts can be offended. There are a couple of good excuses not to drink: being a designated driver, or you can say that you are taking medications that can't be mixed with alcohol.


On the adoption front we have 19 days to go and I'm totally terrified. Hopefully I'll be able to survive these remaining days :)

7 comments:

Melissa E. said...

A toast to Nataliya! Best wishes for a safe and enjoyable journey in...can it be?....19 days!!!

We've moved to under 40 and I'm not worried yet but I wish I were. It would make me in more of a hurry to get things done!

Tami said...

Thanks for the information on the toasts and for how I can get out of drinking altogether! ;) I don't drink for personal and religious reasons, so it's nice to have an excuse at the ready.
Woohooo! 19 days! I'm about to break the 30 day barrier. I'm starting to freak too! :)

Zack, Jenn and William said...

Interesting information! 19 days - not long at all. No worries, you'll make it. Everything will fall into place. :)

Kathy and Matt said...

Love these posts. They provide a fun glimpse at some of the things we might experience while in Ukraine.
19 days!! I'm so excited for you.
Guess I better figure out the "number of days" for us. Still seems pretty far off, but I know time will fly.

Sergey said...

Attention!

The formation of the line of prospective adopting parents for 2008 has started in Ukraine.
The representatives of the prospective parents who wish to be included in the line must show their Powers of Attorney and the documents of their Dossiers in the SDA (State Department for Adoption).

For more details please e-mail: ocean-k@i.com.ua

Tina in CT said...

I got to your blog through my daugher (moscowmom).

I have one suggestion for your checklist. Make a photocopy of all of your passports, visas, travel documents, paperwork for adoption, etc. and keep a copy with you and a copy back here at home with a friend. My friends had their backpack stolen in Paris while in a restaurant and of course their passports were in there. They fortunately were able to get new ones at the American Embassy but wasted a day or so of their vacation.

Your daughter looked so beautiful as an ice princess for Halloween.

Have a wonderful trip and time back in the Ukraine picking up your niece (new daughter). Think what an exciting Xmas your family will have once you four are back and your son is home from college.

adoptedthree said...

We had a wonderful dinner with our facilitator and her brother, including the traditional toasting. It really was a lot of fun! We loved the pickles too!