Tuesday, October 23, 2007

Russian Customs and Superstitions

My friend Melissa asked me about Ukrainian customs, and I decided to brush up my memory on some of the customs and superstitions (couldn't remember them all though). After living in the States for 11 years, we no longer believe in many of them, though some still rule on our household :)

Customs

- Only an odd number of flowers can be given as a gift. The even numbers are usually brought to the funerals. I still enjoy getting 3-5-7 roses, but the dozen doesn't shock me anymore.

- Men usually shake hands, but women never do.

- When you are invited to someone else's house, you should bring a gift. Usually it's a dessert, a bottle of wine (or vodka :), flowers, etc.

- Don't drink without a toast! You must propose a toast! The glass can't be put back on the table between the time a toast proposed and the time you drink.

- The drinks are usually served at the time of dinner, so you need to be able to eat and drink at the same time.

- Sit quietly for several seconds before leaving on a long trip. Usually we load the luggage in the car, return to the house, and do it :)

- It's believed that to avoid colds in the winter, you have to keep your body warm at all times. Poor kids are usually dressed in so many layers, they end up sweating and catch a cold anyway. So having compared the way I dressed Alex in Ukraine and Victoria here, I can say that American way is much better :) But keep in mind that dressing your child lightly will be considered neglect in Ukraine, so make sure to follow the rule over there!

Superstitions:

- Do not whistle indoors - you won't have any money! Victoria is not allowed to whistle in our house :)

- If you step on your somebody elses's toes by accident, you have to let the other person step on your shoe, or you will have a conflict.

- If you forgot something after your left the house, you can't go back - it's a bad luck.

- Though some people say it's OK as long as you look in the mirror when you return to the house to retrieve your item.

- Don't show newborn baby to other people until the baby is 1 month old. The only exception is immediate family - parents, siblings, etc. We broke this rule and went to our friends house when Victoria was 7 days old. It was okay!

- Don't buy anything for the baby while pregnant. Baby shower is a foreign concept in
Ukraine. I totally broke this rule while pregnant with Victoria :)

- Don't celebrate a birthday early.

- Don't demonstrate somebody else's wound or surgery on yourself, it's a bad luck.

- When you see somebody on the street with a full water bucket, it's a good luck. Empty buckets - bad luck. I haven't seen anybody in America with a bucket yet, so I guess this rule doesn't count.

- If you are not married - don't sit at the corner of the table, otherwise you won't marry for another 7 years.

- Black cat is a sign of bad luck. If you see a black cat on the street, try to take another route :)

- Knock on wood and spit three times over your left shoulder for good luck. If someone praises you, or your kids, make sure to knock on the wood 3 times, and pretend to spit three times over your left shoulder. This is done so that you are not jinxed by the comment. When you see someone's baby, don't ever say "what a beautiful baby" - parents will be afraid you'll jinx it. Instead say something like "what a bad baby", then proceed to knock and spit, so the parents will see you actually were taken with the baby, but you are afraid that your positive comment will jinx it. I'm serious! Don't laugh!

- Do not shake hands or kiss over the threshold of a door.

- Don't look into the broken mirror.

- Don't ever put your keys on the table.

- If you spilled salt, you'll have a conflict with someone.

- If your nose itches, it means you'll be drinking soon :)

- If you by mistake put your clothes on inside out, it means somebody will beat you up :) People should point this out, wait for you to fix the clothes and then pretend to beat you, so that nobody else can really beat you after that :)

16 comments:

Melissa E. said...

Thanks for the advice yesterday! We had a great time. I took a couple of loaves of bread and some sugar cookies and they especially loved the cookies! I think I will post about it on my site.

I heard one that I don't see in your list of traditions. I hear that in that whole area of the world it is considered to be really bad manners to set your purse on the table or even to set your grocery bags on the counter. Is that true for Odessa, too?

I love the one about how you used to be shocked about the American dozen roses! I also think the sit a bit before a trip one is good. After all the work of packing, it would be nice to get up from a chair, even if you only sat there a few seconds, and just go and get into the car--don't know if I could handle not being able to go back for things I forgot, though!

Great post, Nataliya! Knock, knock, spit, spit, spit.

Tami said...

What a great list! I'm not so sure I feel comfortable calling somebody's baby 'bad'. Maybe I'll just keep my mouth shut! ;)

Kelly said...

These are so hilarious, and so TRUE! I go to Ukraine every six months or so, and every single one of these is practiced by almost everyone I know there, young and old!!!!!!!!!!!! Nataliya, maybe you could post from time to time these cultural things - it is so helpful for first time travelers! How about explaining the order or toasts for gatherings (ie, first to host, second to friends, third to women, etc.)! I love it!

Mike & Tara said...

Thanks so much for this! We read a book about Ukrainian customs and the book only had a few of these (odd number of flowers and shaking hands over a threshold are the ones I most remember).

The O'Haras said...

It was fun to read. I can totally relate to the "cold" thing over here. It will be 85 degrees out and people are wearing coats in the buses with no air flow. Don't even think about opening that window for a breeze either, some older woman will scold you and make you close it. I am sure you can explain it better then I.

Nataliya said...

Melissa, I don't know this tradition about the purse on the table! Maybe it's a region specific?

Kelly, I'll definitely post something about the order of toasts! I'll consult my husband first - he's an expert :)

Ken and Joy said...

Thanks for the advice! I have been trying to study everything I can on Ukraine and what to expect, and this advice is just what I need!

Question: Is it really cold enough in Ukraine that we will need thermals?? My husband and I are debating on exactly what we will need to stay warm! :)

Nataliya said...

Joy, it is cold in Ukraine, though how cold is relative. I don't own thermals, but I'm planning to dress in layers - undershirt, warm tights, etc. Since you'll be walking a lot, it can be very cold even with mild winter weather in low 30s. So make sure to dress for walking outside, not for riding in the car like we do here.

Phil and Robin said...

Nataliya,

I haven't encountered most of these customs in the 8 weeks I've spent here, but I would agree with the general Russian/Ukrainian superstition of not saying anything good about the future, lest you invite disaster. This has definitely rubbed off on me over the years, so that whenever Robin will say something like "Just think -- we'll be in the USA on Sunday," I practically feel ill.

Another custom that I learned about many years ago in Russian Language school is that it's bad manners to say "Zdrastvuyite" more than once to the same person in the same day, should you happen to see them twice. Have you ever heard of that one? I guess the implication is that you think they're in poor health.

In any case, I hope you enjoy the Autumn here very soon. Or maybe I should say that I just hope that your time here is not terrible. :-)
-Phil

kate said...

I found your blog from Tami's. I'm a US ex-pat living in and adopting from Russia. Sounds like Ukranian and Russian customs and superstitions are veeeerrrrry similar.

(Feel free to drop by my blog sometime!)

Debora Hoffmann said...

Nataliya, thank you for sharing the customs and superstitions. Now if I can only remember them...I don't want to knock on a baby or spit on a doorpost! ;-)

I'm excited for your journey, and I'll be sure to be watching and praying. Some day, my husband and I hope to adopt from Ukraine, too. I would like to learn Russian in the meantime; do you have any recommendations? Thanks!

Nataliya said...

Debbie, it's hard for me to give recommendations for learning Russian, since it's my native language. But I heard many people saying very good things about Rosetta Stone software - maybe you can give it a try? Many public libraries have it, so you can check your library first before buying it.

Debora Hoffmann said...

Thank you, Nataliya. I will look into Rosetta Stone!

adoptedthree said...

Regarding the purse situation.

I was told it was because your purse is laid on the floor (say a bathroom floor) then if it is put on the table all of the gunk is on the bottom and now on the table!! EEK~

Anonymous said...

Bathrooms in Ukraine are DEFINITELY not clean!! I never set my purse down in one. And I totally understand why people take their shoes off when entering a home as well.

Alya said...

Great post. I am from Belarus and can add a couple more superstitions.

for example, if you get out of the house and see a woman with an empty bucket, you are going to have a bad day, but you can spit 3 times behind your left shoulder to fix it.:)

Yes, not giving compliments to a baby is a huge thing. Also, in Belarus and Russia they don't have baby showers because celebrating baby's birth before she is actually born is very bad.

Here is another good post on Russian/Eastern-European superstitions and Russian culture:

http://www.russianwife.straightanswers.net/russian-culture-superstitions.html