Thursday, October 18, 2007

One month to go

It's October 18th, and we are leaving in one month on November 18th. And you know what? I'm getting really nervous. What if something goes wrong? What if we won't be able to have the court in a reasonable amount of time? What if somebody appeals the court decision? What if we won't be able to get her passport on time? What if we get mugged? I really hope it's just my imagination, and everything will be all right!


We are almost decided on what we should pack, thanks to everyone for the great advice! We'll be taking 2 medium-sized wheeled suitcases, and 1 medium-sized wheeled duffel bag as a checked luggage. For the carry-on we'll take a laptop bag, a small duffel bag and my purse (I can't live without one!). I'm not very clear on Aerosvit restrictions for the carry-on. Here is what I found on their website:


- Carry-on luggage for economy and business-class passengers that travel on flights lasting up to four hours must be 5kg or less and the maximum dimensions must be 55x40x20cm or smaller.


- Carry-on luggage for business class passengers that travel on flights lasting over four hours may be up to 10kg. However, only one such item is allowed.

It doesn't say anything about the economy class passengers traveling on flights over four hours, I hope it's a typo, and we'll be allowed to take 10kg (about 22lbs) instead of just 5 kg (about 11lbs)


I also called the school district and spoke with the registrar about registering Raya (that's Raisa's nick name) for school. She said the process is very easy, I just need to bring her birth certificate and immunization record, and that's it! She'll be assigned an ESL teacher to help her learn English. We've been through this before with Alex, and he picked up language really fast. He started school in December, had ESL through the rest of the school year, and next September he didn't need ESL anymore! It was not as fast for Oleg and me, it took us much longer to learn English :) But it's easy for the kids - the younger they are, the easier they can learn a new language. Alex was 8 when we came to the States, and Raya will be 10, so I hope she'll start speaking soon.

12 comments:

Melissa E. said...

I am sure Raya will learn really fast! How old was Alex when you came to America? And, for what it's worth, from reading your English writing, I would never guess that it wasn't your first language!

I'm sure you'll have your share of difficulties in Ukraine--everybody does! Let's hope that you get an extra edge because you were from there!

As for the adoption being contested...that is spoken like a true mother! I think every one of us will worry about that!

I wonder if we'll cross paths in Ukraine?!!

Nataliya said...

Melissa, thank you for your kind words - both Oleg and I didn't speak a word of English when we came to the States 11 years ago, so I really appreciate the compliment! I couldn't get rid of the accent though :)

Tami said...

I know what you mean about feeling nervous...I'm really starting to get a big case of the nerves...typical for me. My concerns are more with the child and how he/she will react to us.
You'll be fine! :) I wish I could tag along with you (I guess that's what blogs are for) just so I can see how you handle everything as a native.
And I have to strongly second what Melissa said about your writing. It's impeccable. As a journalist I have a tendency to make a mental note of mistakes people make in their writing (although I make a point of NOT pointing it out ;)...and you do a GREAT job with your writing!

Zack, Jenn and William said...

I'm praying that all of your worries are unnecessary, and that everything goes smoothly. Just one more month!!

Melissa E. said...

Nataliya- Keep the accent! Accents are beautiful!
I always wished I had one but I suppose it's not the same when it's yourself. I live in the South but was raised in the North and so, to the Southerners, I have an accent. To me? I sound the same as I always have!

Anonymous said...

was it only 11 years ago? I feel like I've known you forever, and yet don't, your English is polished and perfect, and I love the accent- it's you! Look at Alex now, amazing, and Raya is so fortunate to have you and Oleg.

Leslie said...

I laughed out loud reading your first paragraph! I've said the same thing recently. I'm terrified! Its good to know I'm not the only neuotic one on her way to Ukraine. See you in Odessa, friend!

The O'Haras said...

We flew United and Austrian and neither of them ever weighed our carry on. Thank goodness as mine was 30 pounds of electronics :|

I am so glad that you are under a month now. The days have warmed up and today the temp dropped again. Pretty sure that the warmer days are going to be farther apart and fewer now. Glad we got to enjoy the city with some nice weather. It is pretty hear and not all the leaves have fallen yet ;)

God Bless and look forward to enjoying your journey from the other side of it!

Kathy and Matt said...

I so appreciate you identifying some of your concerns. I sometimes wonder if I'm the only one who has sleepless nights about this - not the decision to adopt, but the trip itself. My biggest concern is leaving Sarah here, but it will probably be harder on me than her.
I am sure you'll get through whatever the trip brings, but I'll keep you in my prayers as you travel. I can't wait to follow your journey in Ukraine.

Anonymous said...

Natasha! Don`t worry!
Odesskiy accent pomozhet! (i mu tozhe). Sergey.

adoptedthree said...

November 18, 2000 was my first journey to Ukraine to adopt as well! I can't believe that was almost eight years ago! You will have a great time.

Jim H. said...

I freaked out about all this stuff too and none of my paranoia was necessary.

The only bummer was the final week in Odessa, which has the well earned distinction of being the most corrupt and difficult of all Ukrainian regions.

I'm hoping those difficult people will take kindly to you and Oleg and you won't have to deal as much hassle as I did.