Tuesday, April 15, 2008

Spring break

The spring break is here, and the girls are having fun. A couple of days ago we bought Rachel a new bike – something she wanted for a long time. She was SOOOOO happy, you can’t imagine. She repeated over and over again how happy she is that her dream came true!

On Sunday we went to the mall, and I ended up having a make-up session at the Estee Lauder counter. I’m not a make-up person, so I almost didn’t recognize myself in the mirror :) Oleg and the girls approved my new look, but then Victoria started crying that she wants her mommy back :) To appease her, the make-up lady put some lipstick on both girls and gave them a lip gloss as a gift. Of course, Victoria immediately stopped crying :)










Then, after a mandatory ice cream and carousel ride, the girls had their faces painted and received balloons from the clown. Again, it was one of the “firsts” for Rachel. It never occurred to me that she’s never had anybody to create a balloon especially for her or to paint her face. When the clown gave her the balloon flower she requested, her face just lit up. You would’ve thought she’s got a new car or a moon from the sky!





Every time Oleg and I are amazed at the little things that make Rachel happy. We take so much for granted, not realizing that simple things like riding the bike or getting a balloon made by a clown are not available to all kids in the world. Yes, biologically she’s 10 years old, kind of too old to enjoy some of the little kids activities. But socially she’s like 6-7 years old, who’s catching up on everything she missed in her life. Take the playground for example. I hear “Mom, watch me” more often from Rachel than from Victoria.

She’s making more progress with the school work. Yesterday I gave her a page with 50 division problems (from the multiplication tables), and for the first time ever she didn’t make any mistakes! The math word problems, even the simplest ones, are still a mystery to Rachel, she’s having difficulties with abstract concepts. With her reading we are making one step forward, and two steps back. It’s hard for her to remember all the rules: the “ake”, “ike”, “ain” families, short or long vowels, etc. But by now we know that the only thing that works for her is repetition, so we make sure to work on the same concept over and over again and then return to it to make sure she didn’t forget.

This week I signed both girls up for gymnastics camp in the mornings, and for swimming classes at night. And the swimming lessons are free because our local YMCA has the “free swimming lessons” promotion during the spring break!


And finally last week I received Rachel’s Ukrainian passport back from the Ukrainian Consulate at New York City. We are done with the post-adoption paperwork!

18 comments:

Unknown said...

Hey everyone.
You are look awesome together.

I'll take pictures.

Ken and Joy said...

Sounds like things are going very well! I love to see the progression and hear about your updates. I know that I love to see Kyle experience the things he has never had a chance to do, and it is great to see him smiling and laughing! Your girls are beautiful!

Anonymous said...

What great pictures! You're all gorgeous! What mall was that? It looks familiar! ;o)

Tina in CT said...

If I could end up looking like you, I'd drive the long distance to your mall and go to the EL counter! All the pictures are wonderful and I love the one of you with the girls.

It must make you warm all over when Rachel experiences something new and you see how exciting it is for her!

I bet all of a sudden, her reading will "click" and you'll see her jump ahead. It'll come. It's only been two months.

So glad that all the paperwork is done! Nice to have it behind you.

junglemama said...

How beautiful the three of you look!

Rachael said...

Your make-overs look fab! You make a good looking trio of girls! :)

It's so sweet that she is so excited about everything new. I really enjoyed the newness/experience phase with my Katya too. We do take a lot of things for granted.

Zack, Jenn and William said...

Your girls are so beautiful, and it sounds like things are going great. Isn't it exciting to watch our kids experience their firsts?!

Kathy and Matt said...

It's great to see all the fun your family is having. And like you said, isn't it touching how the simplest things mean so much?

I love Rachel's joy in getting a bike plus the face painting and balloons. What a blessing her life is now that she's home with you.

Thanks for sharing the photos. They are a day brightener!

Melissa E. said...

The make-overs look marvelous--all three of them!

I, too, am often reminded that the boys have not all had what we have had when they cheer over hand-me-downs or having hot dogs for dinner!

I like reading your posts about the new-ness and things from Rachel's point of view. Keep them coming!

Leslie said...

Great update! I'm so happy that Rachel is Raisa is able to experience with you so much of what she has missed. You are one gorgeous momma (with or without the make up)! How blesssed these girls are!

Tina in CT said...

I love how the sisters like to dress alike even with the age difference. So sweet.

Tami said...

What great pictures!!! You all look fabulous! I'm glad things are going so well...and that the girls are getting along so well.

Chris and Virginia said...

Thanks for sharing all those pictures. What a fabulous looking family! Raisa should smile more in here pictures. There is one where she is giving a whole face smile and it really becomes here. The one where she is holding her green animal balloon.

We are so looking forward to many of the first for our kids, but slowly at first. I imagine it's quite easy for Raisa to get overwhelmed. We are trying to learn some Russian to help with the transition; just hope we can learn enough before we go.

Annie said...

What lovely photos! You are beyond beautiful, Natalija, even without makeup! Makeup on you is kind of a waste; it is people like me that NEED it.

I had the same sort of experience with Anastasia recently; I went and got my hair colored a slightly different color (my husband has been begging me to get it done red "like the ladies in Russia"). Well, it is NOT red, but has some highlights. Anastasia looked at me and said the same sort of thing - "You're not my momma; I want my momma back!" It didn't take too long for her to get used to it.

Ashley said...

Great update! Everyone looks like they are having so much fun! We do take a lot of small things for granted that you just don't think about. When Grisha was with me on my trip to UA, he would touch everything in the house. He was so fascinated with everything. He would rub his fingers across wallpaper and just anything. He took it all in.

I love all the pictures! I am glad all of you are enjoying the spring break. :)

kate said...

i love the look on r's face in the picture with the balloons. pure joy!

Debora Hoffmann said...

All you girls are just lovely! I love hearing about Rachel's reactions to things we take for granted. Congratulations on the completion of all the postadoption paperwork!

MoscowMom said...

p.s. The girls look so cute dressed alike! Love the orange crocs in the next post :-) They seems so genuinely happy together; it's great how well they play, despite their age difference. What a blessing that Victoria has so openly welcomed Rachel into her heart and your home. You and Oleg must be doing a wonderful job as parents for the transition to be going so well!