Wednesday, April 2, 2008

Gymnastics

This week both girls had open lessons in their respective gymnastics classes. Of course we made sure to make lots of pictures, and both girls were very proud to show us what they can do. Especially Rachel! You should’ve seen her face – she was so happy she had her parents coming in to see her in class, she kept looking at us and smiling for an hour and a half non-stop. That’s something the kids who grew up with parents take for granted – what’s the big deal? It is a big deal for Rachel. She finally has her Mama and Papa cheering for her!



Victoria is helping her big sister with the bridge:




In other news Rachel’s made a lot of progress with multiplication tables. Even a month ago it was a hit or miss – she would get it right at about 50%. Now she’s more at 90% mark, and I’m very proud of her. She also started to understand the concept of division, so I think we are going in the right direction.


Victoria continues to improve her reading. Yesterday she read me a book about Spot the dog. She looked at the word “Spot” and told me: “Mama, if you read this word backwards, it will be Tops (this is the name of our local grocery store)” Then she looked at this word again and said: “If you swap “t” and “p”, it will be Stop!” Isn’t she one smart cookie?

Now that she started reading, she corrects my pronunciation more often :) Since I only started learning English at 29, I have a very thick Russian accent, and there is nothing I can do about it. Recently she corrected me when I pronounced the word “it” as “eat” or vice versa. I even consulted with my friend from work about pronouncing long and short “e”, but I still can’t get it right :)

In addition to English reading, Victoria started reading in Russian this week! Even though she knew Russian alphabet, I didn’t teach her to read in Russian on purpose – I wanted her to become a solid English reader first. But a couple of days ago she looked over her Grandma’s shoulder, who was reading Russian book at the time, pointed to one word and said: “Grandma, isn’t this such and such word?” It was a short 3-letter word, but she got it right! My Mom was speechless, and then she showed Victoria how to read in syllables. It’s very easy to read in Russian if you know the letters, it’s somewhat like Spanish: what you see is what you read. Of course, there are some rules, but most of the time, you just put the sounds together, and that’s it. By the time I got back from work, she was reading simple sentences! So now every evening we have a new ritual – both girls read to me in both languages!

16 comments:

Kathy and Matt said...

You have a couple of very smart and talented girls there.

I loved hearing how happy Rachel was to have her parents there watching her. It's wonderful to know how happy she is, and you're right it's something most kids take for granted.

I'm impressed with Victoria. Learning to read Russian - WOW!

Tina in CT said...

I am so impressed with how both girls are progressing - both very bright!

How heartwarming to read how Rachel felt to have both parents there cheering her on at her open gymnastics.

Your evenings are very full with two readers. Not only are the girls sharp cookies but you are an excellent teacher/tutor.

Melissa E. said...

They are obviously both just plain brilliant! Isn't it fun to watch them excel? They are proud of themselves and you are proud for them and of them! Lucky girls and lucky mom and dad!

Glad to hear they are doing so well together. I can see Rachel beaming with pride at her gymnastics class. Wow! We can only imagine what that must feel like to be her!

MoscowMom said...

Their academic progress is fantastic! I can only imagine how thrilled--and proud--you are! That's great :-)

Would you like me to bring back any books for them this summer? I'd be happy to, really... Just give me a target level of reading and how much to spend... I'm guessing they'd both enjoy the Olivia books in Russian... The "Vredniya Sovyeti" (really, really funny poetry) books by Grigorii Oster are awesome, too--and not expensive.

I got goosebumps looking at Rachel's face during her gymnastics lesson, knowing you two were cheering her on... Nice. Really, really nice.

Tami said...

Wow! Both languages!!! That's awesome. Those are some girls you have there! :) And BTW - I didn't think you had such a thick accent. ;)

Leslie said...

The girls are just beautiful! Kristina's accent cracks us up, as she always sounds so serious and authoritative. Our oldest Samuel made the mistake of correcting her English the other day and she replied, "You go to Russia and try to speak Russian! You think you can do it? No, I don't think so!" He hasn't corrected her since!

Jim H. said...

Oh my...these are some beautiful pictures! It is so encouraging to see all the learning going on in your family.

I really think that Ukrainians are just plain smart. I am so amazed by the incredible rate of progress I see within so many families.

Please continue to keep us informed on your amazing family!

Mike & Tara said...

They are smart and beautiful!!

Ashley said...

What smart girls you have! :) I love hearing about their progress.

ArtworkByRuth said...

Wow, her happiness sure shows! SO glad things are continuing to improve!

rachel said...

the girls look SO happy!
the gymnastics photos are amazing. we just took a break from gymnastics, but looking at the pictures now i miss it. you are doing such a great job, and don't worry about your accent, i'm sure every american who knows you thinks of it as charming! my parents never lost their accent, thankfully.
i wanted to pass on this great reading website for the girls... different levels and cute simple animation. my son loves it.

warmest regards,
rachel

http://www.starfall.com

(the 'learn to read' will be great for victoria)

Nataliya said...

Thank you, Rachel! Do you have a blog to share?

adoptedthree said...

What fabulous progress she is making and Victoria too. The pictures are precious!

Debora Hoffmann said...

I am so pleased that Rachel had Mama and Papa watching her. What joy for her! Your girls are so smart and talented. Their language and reading, numbers, gymnastics...wow. Could grandma come teach me to read Russian in syllables? I am going letter by letter and am still not sure of the rules and when a letter changes in the middle or isn't pronounced. Sigh. :-)

junglemama said...

Your daughters are just so beautiful! I'm glad they are taking gymnastics together! It looks like they have fun!

Stefanie and Bill said...

Nataliya, Thanks for your sweet comments on our blog!
So happy to hear about the girls and all the great progress they are making.
Blessings, Stefanie