Tuesday, August 7, 2007

The passport situation in Ukraine

The Ukrainian government recently decided to start issuing the new type of passports. Supposedly it was done to fight the corruption since all the new passports will be issued in Kiev and sent to the regions. Of course, THERE ARE NOT ENOUGH new passports! Some regions still have old passport blanks and people are still gettings passports. Some people are not as lucky. I know of several adoptive families who are currently waiting for 4+ weeks after receiving the court decree because the newly adopted kids cannot leave the country without a passport. A couple of days ago American Embassy released a notice where it says that in addition to the mandatory 10 day wait after the court, it's now necessary to wait 10 MORE days to get the passport. And the problem is that it could be more than 10 extra days to get a passport. So how long do we have to stay in Ukraine? Looks like instead of 4-5 weeks it could be 6-7 weeks or more.

I think in this case the best idea would be to do 2 trips to Ukraine. The first trip will be for the SDA appointment and court, then back home while waiting for the 20 mandatory days, and after that the second trip to finish the paperwork. Oh well, why is it getting harder and harder all the time?

We are on our 6th business waiting for the appointment date. I know of one family who was submitted on July 9th and received the word today about their appointment date on October 16th. They waited exactly 20 business days, as promised, so I hope we'll find out what our travel date is in another 14 business days, on August 28.

10 comments:

Contact Mark and Theresa said...

Hi Natalyia and Oleg,
I just came across your Blog and what a lovely family you have. We are also waiting for our SDA appointment (our dossiers were submitted June 18th). It is so nice to have other families to encourage. We do not feel so alone during this process. Please feel free to visit our blog as well. Are you way upstate NY? We have family friends in Schroon Lake. I am so happy for your niece, so special for both of you. Be blessed.
Theresa

Courtney said...

Hi Nataliya!
Thanks for your nice comment on our blog--perhaps we will be traveling at similar times! We have been to Ukraine before (non-adoption related) and are SOOO excited to be going back. I miss the food and the people so much. We didn't visit Odessa before, but we were in Simferopol and Sevastopol (as well as various other places) and so were able to see the Black Sea. We didn't swim--it was too cold, but we did wade in the water. :)

Jane said...

Good luck with your adoption. I can't believe you have to go through this whole process to adopt a family member. We adopted twice from UKraine, as you know, there's always something that holds the process up. Hopefully this passport thing will change once the new passports are widely circulated, but these things have a habit of becoming permanent once they get started

Zack, Jenn and William said...

I was starting to wonder if it would be worth it monetarily to make 2 trips if you have to wait that long for everything. It's defintely food for thought!

Jim H. said...

Have you thought about making a donation to Yushenko's campaign to speed things along?

It's going to be interesting to see how you're treated in your native country during the "process."

Your family and Raisa are all in my prayers.

Anonymous said...

Hello, I just saw your comment on our blog. I read yours all the time! I love seeing your pictures each time I open you page! You do really have a gorgeous family! I am very happy about your dossier!!!!! This process is so hard! It really is just very, very hard. I can’t wait to get to the point of saying that wasn’t so bad. At least that is how I felt after having our two boys. I thought after the whole labor… ohhh I am NEVER doing this again! But after a while you forget and can’t wait to have another one! I am sure we will get there. I wish you the very best of luck and can’t wait to read about your trip! Karissa

Melissa E. said...

Frustrating all these changes!
Hopefully in the nest couple of months before any of us go, things will become more efficient!

Melissa E. said...

Hey! I just had an idea...since you are from Ukraine this may not be a concern for you but I am wondering what to cook for these kids and want to learn and practice some new things on my family now before the kids get here. Do you cook? If so, what are some things your family enjoys... favorite recipes, must-have traditional holday foods...that sort of thing.

Melissa E. said...

Thanks! It would be great to learn from you!
We are hosting a part of a Ukrainian Church Youth Group Overnight at our home tonight and tomorrow, on an unrelated coincidence, we are hosting a Ukrainian lady overnight. My husband met her through a friend and so I don't know why she's here but I guess I'll find out, won't I?!
Anything I should know about the culture or anything?

Any word on your appointment yet?

My email is:
seimers@adelphia.net

The O'Haras said...

We are hoping that you get your date soon. It would be nice to know that you might be making it over there while we are there even...Especially if it turns out to be as long of process as it is currently. We are still planning on only 1 trip and I will attempt to do work from our apartment...thank goodness for work laptops. You know where we will be staying in Odessa, and we will stay in touch as the journey continues :)