Friday, February 1, 2008

Mama, I’m so fortunate!



Those were the words I heard from Rachel when I picked her up from school! Yes, you read this right – she’s already enrolled in school! Originally I wanted her to start school a little bit later, but when the school district indicated she can start on Wednesday, I decided to go for it. The sooner she starts school, the sooner she starts learning English! I tried to teach her English, but it doesn’t really work since we speak Russian at home all the time.

Anyway, we survived the first 6 days at home, and Rachel is adjusting remarkably well, which can’t be said about her mother :) I’m still adjusting to the time difference, and recuperating from everything I’ve been through in Ukraine.

The first couple of days we did a lot of administrative tasks – applied for a Social Security Number, registered for school and had a physical done. On the first day of school both Rachel and I were a little bit apprehensive – it’s always scary to go to a new school, and if you don’t speak the language it’s even scarier. But all my worries were unnecessary. When I came to pick her up, she came out with a huge smile on her face and said: “ Mama, I’m so fortunate, I love my school!” She started her first day of school with a one-on-one session with ESL (English as a Second Language) teacher and spent the rest of the day in the regular class setting. There is one Russian and one Ukrainian girl in the class, so Rachel has somebody to talk to and ask questions if needed (she speaks Russian and understands Ukrainian). Currently the school assigned her to be in the 4th grade, but I’m thinking she’ll be better off in the 3rd grade, so I’m going to talk to the school counselor about it. But overall I’m very pleased with the school so far – we have great public schools in our town.

Our house is much louder now with the 2 girls :) We haven’t set the routine yet – it’s hard for me to go from 1 to 2 kids (Alex doesn’t count :) – who takes the shower first, who goes to bed first, etc. But I’m sure we’ll be able to set a schedule that works for everybody.

The other change I need to get used to is the amount of groceries :) Victoria hardly eats anything, and I don’t mind since she is in the 85% in weight. Luckily she loves to eat her vegetables and to drink her milk, so I don’t have to worry about it. Alex is never home, and Oleg and I are not a big eaters. Rachel is totally different :) This tiny girl can eat! So far I can’t get the amount of groceries right – we went to Wegmans on Sunday, and on Monday night I needed to go again. Then another Wegmans visit on Wednesday night. Today is Friday, and it looks like we need another grocery run before the weekend :)

So far Rachel is on her best behavior, and though I know it’s still a “honeymoon”, I hope it will continue! The fact that we speak the same language is a great help, and she feels very comfortable in our house. She had a lot of “firsts” since she came here 6 days ago, and it’s a joy watching her to discover something new. The garage door opener was a hit – how come the door is opening by itself :) The next one was the fact that Mom can drive. “Mama, can you drive? REALLY? Are you a good driver?” And on and on and on. But the most remarkable “first” was her first ever English sentence. She told me “I love you” in English, and I didn’t teach her that!

Here are some pictures from our last week in Ukraine:

21 comments:

Anonymous said...

So glad to hear Rachel is doing so well. It brought a happy tear to my eye to read her first English sentence! Give yourself some time to decompress, girl! Don't expect too much of yourself - you need some TLC too and some time to readjust also. I said it before, but I'll say it again: WELCOME HOME!!! hugs, Beth

Zack, Jenn and William said...

So glad that are going well. And what a wonderful first sentence. Relax and enjoy the honeymoon period. Hopefully it will be permanent :)

Congrats to the happy family!!

Unknown said...

WELCOME HOME!!!
Its awesome be home with family of five isn't. They look like real sisters. I'm so glad that Rachel going fine. Keep it up.

cara said...

Your girls are beautiful!!! I am so happy for you guys to have made it home. Cara

MoscowMom said...

Great news!!!!! Love the picture of the girls!!!!

Shelley said...

What great news! And what a great first sentence too!

adopting2fromUkraine said...

What a sweet picture of your two girls! It does take time to get back into a routine. That 8 hour time difference, well I guess 7 for you, is a killer. You'll be back in your routine in now time:)

Rachael said...

Glad she (and all of you) are doing so well. I can only imagine how fun it is to introduce Raisa to all the "new" things and actually be able to understand what her reaction is! It was really fun for me once Katya was finally able to speak enough English to say exactly what was on her mind (but by then, of course, the "new" has all worn off!)

Congrats on being home and together finally.

junglemama said...

Thanks for the wonderful update. It sounds like things are going really well. Out of curiousity, why do you only speak Russian at home?

Chris and Virginia said...

We're really looking forward to having the honeymoon period. They (sisters) are so cute together. We hope she will be inclined to keep her language since it's spoken at home. I know I'm struggling with learning Russian; there's some nuances that are kicking my butt :O.

It's also great to hear that she loves her school already. What a big milestone to put behind you and with so little trouble.

Thanks for the updates :).

Kathy and Matt said...

So glad to hear how well things are going. Tell Rachel we are impressed. Take time for yourself, you've been thru a lot!

Tonya said...

I teared up reading that. What a wonderful blessing:)

Ashley said...

I am so glad things are going well at home! I also hope the "honeymoon" stage lasts. :) Very happy that Rachel loves her school and that she is adjusting well. You will figure out the schedule and how much food you need in time. It is still new and you are still adjusting to another child. I hope you can get caught up on your rest and get back to the Eastern time zone. I think the transition is much smoother since you speak Russian at home. I know that helps a lot. Also, that all of you are from Ukraine, I know that is a big plus for her. Congratulations again and we are so happy for you! :)

ArtworkByRuth said...

You and your family are precious and beautiful! Thank you for sharing your on going journey with us!
God Bless!

Ken and Joy said...

It is great to hear of thing going so well. You have such a beautiful family!!

Ashley said...

Nataliya - hey, what is your email address? I am trying to comment you back from your comment but it is not allowing me to. Thanks!

Tina in CT said...

How did the first week home go?

Jim H. said...

The groceries! Oh yes, I know what you mean my friend!!!

Rachel looks like she's right at home.

Plese keep us posted!

Melissa E. said...

I can so relate about the groceries!!!

Hop you are settled into your new norm soon!

The boys love to tell me they love me...especially when one of the others is in trouble! Haha!

Vitali said "more cheese" tonight at dinner even though we didn't prompt him to! He also asked for his "shoes" the other day. I am guessing he will learn English so fast! Misha is having a lot of fun learning the ABC song. I need a video of him singing that!

Max is coming along and tries when we ask him too but at eight, he is a little shy-er about sounding funny. He will get it though; I am not worried!

Keep posting your updates!

Kevin and Krista said...

Sounds like she fits right in! Thanks for trying to make us all cry with her sweet words to you. :)

Look at the picture! They sure do look like sweet sisters!

Congratulations on the end of one journey and the beginning of the next!
Krista

Mike & Tara said...

How wonderful!! You have a beautiful family!