Saturday, February 16, 2008

Making Progress

Busy-busy-busy… That’s how I can describe the life in our household now :) Where to begin? We accomplished a lot during these 3 weeks home. Just 2 days after Rachel and I came back, we went to our local Social Security office to apply for her Social Security card. I know that many adoptive parents had a hard time getting it: some of them were asked to show CoC (Certificate of Citizenship), which usually comes about 45 days after arrival, the others were requested to bring something “American”, i.e. insurance card, etc. Luckily, the Birth Certificate, Adoption Certificate and Ukrainian passport with the Visa were enough for our local SS office. Just 10 days later we received her Social Security Card!

My next goal was to apply for her US passport. Some parents are usually waiting for the CoC, but since internationally adopted kids are the US citizens upon arriving on American soil, it’s not necessary. So a couple of days ago we went to apply for Rachel’s passport. I specifically ordered another translation of her Birth and Adoption Certificates from the Hudson-Neva translation. Their translations are notarized and have a raised seal, so they look very official, and the price is very reasonable. We had to leave the original adoption certificate with the translation as well as her Ukrainian passport with the Visa, but we were assured that everything will come back to us safe and sound in 4 weeks. After that our last step will be to register Rachel at Ukrainian Consulate, and our after-adoption paperwork phase will be done until the next January when we are required to send the yearly post-placement report to Ukrainian Embassy.

The school work is not easy for Rachel, but her teachers are amazing. I met with her homeroom teacher and ESL teacher last week, and we had a very good discussion about what’s the best for Rachel and how we can help her to catch up with her peers. Academically she’s very behind – I would guess she’s at about 2nd grade level in math, and Russian reading. But this is very normal for a post-institutionalized child, and with proper tutoring she should be able to catch up. Currently she is in the 4th grade being one of the oldest in her class. I thought it would be better to place her in the 3rd grade, but now I see it won’t make any difference. With her teachers’ suggestions we decided to leave her in the 4th grade, but take a totally different approach to her school work – we are starting from scratch! She’s given homework appropriate for her level, and we are taking it one day at a time. There are 2 girls speaking Russian and/or Ukrainian in her 4th grade class (and none in the 3rd grade), which is a huge plus since she can communicate with them and get help as needed. The other kids in class are trying to include her in all activities, so she’s making new friends even without speaking the language!

On Valentine’s Day I sent her to school with the cards for all kids in the class, and she came home with LOTS of Valentines! She was ecstatic! I don’t think she’s ever got so many cards and presents before, especially on Valentine’s Day!

Rachel’s riding the bus like a pro, and last week she even took the late bus after she stayed in school for intramurals! She also started buying her own lunch in cafeteria, which is not easy for a girl with almost no English!

Last week we went to the dentist, and she was a trooper during her first ever dental cleaning! She has a lot of cavities, but luckily for us, all of them are in the baby teeth, so no need for fillings :) Though she’ll need to have braces next year when she turns 11, which is earlier than most kids, so we need to start saving :)

So overall I’m very pleased with her transition. Each day makes a difference, and at the end of 3 weeks she made a lot of progress. And I can finally calculate the amount of groceries we need :)

Here are some pictures from the last couple of weeks:

Getting ready for bath:


Valentine's Day party at Victoria's preschool:


Playing outside:

19 comments:

Tina in CT said...

Lots of positives in there. There will be many, many more positives in the months to come as Rachel settles in, learns more at school and progresses with English. How wonderful that the kids at school are so open and she's fitting in and doing sports, etc.

I'm sure that you are making less trips to the grocery store too.

How does Rachel like her new ballet class?

Hannah said...

Soundslike she is going full-steam ahead! She also sounds like she is fitting in at school. I hope that she will continue to do so well!

We found the same problems with Max as far as academics go. He was in second grade but seemed like he had never even heard of addition! He caught on just fine, though, but I was surprised.

Glad to see you post again. I missed you but I understand about being busy!

Stefanie and Bill said...

Hi Nataliya,
So glad to read your posts and see that things are really coming together for your family. What a wonderful thing!
A suggestion for the Consulate Registration: Make certain you track the documents(esp passport). They "lost" my son's in 2006. It was worse dealing with them than all the redtape in Ukraine throughout our adoption. Finally, a very good friend to the Consulate General(that my father knows) had to go in bearing gifts to the joker that registers the children and surprise, my son's passport reappeared. So, hand carry it or track it (and supply a fed ex envelope for them to send it back) is my suggestion. Oh, and request a receipt (which you will have to nag them for). Stefanie

Jim H. said...

Great update! Your daughters are both dolls and look great together.

We're still having school issues, but I marvel at how well they're actually doing.

Rachel has so much support. I know she's going to thrive!

Annie said...

Your girls are lovely.

Rachael said...

How nice that the girls each have sister now!

School was by far our hardest adjustment too, we are still figuring it all out, but we have a bit easier time of it than you, I think, since our daughter is younger and there is less catching up to do.

ArtworkByRuth said...

Wow, you really have gotten a lot done in three weeks! We will pray for the school adjustment, it was HUGE for T!
I was thinking of you the other day as I drove past a road side memorial with a can of Pepsi tied to a white cross and thought "I wonder what my Ukranian friends think of America when they first come and see these kind of things." I bet you read many strange views of your birth country by those of us who travel for adoptions! Anything in particular that is "strange" in America to Rachel?
Thanks for sharing your insights,and always being gracious reading our blogs!

cara said...

The girls look so happy--but we are still waiting for a picture of you whole family! You have gotten so much accomplished in three weeks-wow! Cara in SD

junglemama said...

Your girls are so cute together! How adorable.

Anonymous said...

So glad to hear things are progressing so well. She looks like she's doing wonderfully as a part of your family. Please keep sharing pictures and updates with us! I am so glad you're HOME!

The O'Haras said...

So glad that the transition is going well. Hopefully the realization that she is part of the family now will make some things go easier. Trying to figure out life now gets interesting. Learning to love is something I know both sides in our family is learning...I imagine it back to when my wife and I were first dating...so much is warm fuzzies, but then life sets in and you learn to deal with issues.

Melissa E. said...

I was just looking to make sure that my comment on this post had published. Where am I? Oops! I posted under my daughter's name: Purple Princess! Haha!

Zack, Jenn and William said...

Sounds like things are going well - so happy for you guys!!!

Debora Hoffmann said...

Oh, they are so cute! You have a lovely family. Thank you for sharing how it's going. I love hearing about your girls (and the rest of you, too).

Kathy and Matt said...

Sounds like your family is making great progress. And you're so organized in getting all your post-adoption work in progress!

It was sweet to hear about Rachel's reaction to getting all the valentines. I'm so glad she's making many friends at school.

We'll keep checking in to see how things are going!

Tina in CT said...

How did your last week go?

Ashley said...

I do believe she will catch up with her school academics. It will take time as she is still learning the language. How awesome that there are two other girls at her school who speak Russian. I know that helps her a lot. I am glad things are going well and I agree - you have gotten A LOT done in 3 weeks!

I am leaving for Ukraine next week. Do you know how cold it still is there this time of year?

Chris and Virginia said...

It sounds like Raisa is doing great. It's gotta be hard coming to a different country, not knowing the language and integrating with their peers. I'm so glad the other kids have accepted her, it's such a tough age.

The two girls are so cute together. It's uncanny how much they look like bio sisters. Have you researched the family trees to see if there is any connections :).

Thanks for the updates.

junglemama said...

How are you doing? Just checking in. :)