Tuesday, March 18, 2008

First Road Trip

This past weekend we drove 6 hours to New Jersey to visit our dear friends Anya and Dima. We’ve known each other forever – Anya, Oleg and met in 1st grade and were classmates all the way to the High School graduation. Then Anya, Dima and I were classmates at Odessa State University studying Math and Computer Science. So every time we get to see them it’s a treat.

It was a first road trip for Rachel. She loved it! Both girls had fun in the car watching cartoons as well as educational phonics DVDs :) We had to drive through downtown Philadelphia, and Rachel finally experienced bumper-to-bumper traffic in America! The traffic in Odessa is very bad, so she was very surprised not see it in our every day life in Rochester (there is no traffic on her school bus route :)

The weather was gorgeous – 60s and sunny – a welcome change after snow and 30s! All 5 kids (they have 3 kids ages 9, 12 and 14) had a blast riding the bikes, fishing and even riding the boats! So overall we had a great weekend, and the girls can’t wait to see their friends again.



In another news I’m happy to report that our post-adoption paperwork is done! Here is what we’ve accomplished:

- Social Security Number: applied in 2 days after arrival, received 10 days later;
- US Passport: applied 2 weeks after arrival (could’ve done earlier, we didn't need SSN to apply), received 3 weeks later;
- Certificate of Citizenship: received by mail 37 days after arrival;
- Ukrainian Consulate registration: sent last week!

Some people do these steps in a different order, but I wanted to get Rachel’s US passport before sending her Ukrainian passport to Ukrainian Consulate for registration. They take a loooong time returning Ukrainian passports (like several months!), that’s why I didn’t feel comfortable sending the only document verifying Rachel’s immigration status. But now she has her US passport, so I don’t really care about her Ukrainian passport anymore. Knowing from other people’s blogs how the Ukrainian Consulate tends to lose important paperwork, I sent Rachel’s registration by certified mail with return receipt. This way they won’t be able to lie and say they didn’t receive it. I intend to do the same when sending annual post-adoption report to them next year.


For those of you waiting to go, I would really recommend getting “Adoption Certificate” in Ukraine. It’s not required for American families, but it’s very handy! This certificate is issued at the same place where you get a new Birth Certificate, and it looks very similar – one page with parents names, adopted child’s old and new names, the court date and court decree number. It’s much more convenient to show this one page document than a multi-page court decree written in legalese. I also ordered certified translation of both Birth and Adoption Certificates from Hudson Translations, and used them everywhere. They have a raised seal and look very authentic!

14 comments:

Melissa E. said...

I'm so glad the road trip was such a success! I remember loving trips as a kid. Of course, we didn't have to wear seat belts then!

We just got our Ukrainian passports back this past week. It's funny how quickly I am losing the awareness that the boys haven't always been here! Even though we speak a mixture of English and Russian so much; even that is so commonplace I hardly think about it.

The boys are blending in so well that I have to remind myself that they have spent the bulk of their lives somewhere else!

That is a real blessing!

Tina in CT said...

You sure have accomplished a lot since being back from Odessa.

I love reading how your family is doing and seeing the pictures.

Tina in CT said...

Thank you for your comment that you left in my daughter's blog to me regarding my losing my beloved dachshund. She was such a wonderful pal and I hope she's running around chasing a red kong toy as she loved them.

Debora Hoffmann said...

Great pictures! Looks like it was a fun road trip. I especially like the picture of the three boats all together on the water--traffic jam!

junglemama said...

Thanks for the tips on the adoption certificates. Glad to hear your road trip went well.

Courtney said...

Nataliya, I've been trying to find information on registering the boys with the UA consulate. I don't have any paperwork from UA about registering them, and I was very careful to keep all of our paperwork in order. I can't find anything on the UA consulate webpage either. Is this something that has to be done? Where can I get information on it?

Kathy and Matt said...

It sounds like you had a wonderful family trip. Those are the best!
The pictures are all great!

I'm envious at how organized you are with your post adoption paperwork. I've got to get on it this week! I know I'm behind!!!

Thanks for the update. It's great to hear how everyone is doing.

Stefanie and Bill said...

Good for you Nataliya! What a great accomplishment! Keep enjoying! Thanks for the great tips!
Stefanie

Leslie said...

Road trip??? You are a brave woman! Robert wants to go somewhere over Spring Break, but I'm not so sure. Kristina got her Citizenship certificate in the mail. It came with one of those "welcome to America" form letters signed by the president. Now she insists that I have to arrange for her to meet George Bush!

Unknown said...

Hey everyone!

I'm again with you all. Just want to wish a Happy Easter to all of you. I hope you'll have a great one.

Shirley and Steve said...

We are still in Ukraine experiencing an adoption nightmare. Its nice to actually hear of a successful adoption from Ukraine. Your children are beautiful.

Incidentally, I am from New Jersey near Philadelphia and it sounds as if you were near my old stomping grounds.

God bless you and your family.

Steve

Annie said...

You are so organized! I always have so much to make up for - in the house, and at work, plus acclamating the new addition, that I forget a lot of that stuff - i.e. the SS#. Now I am sorry because we can't file our taxes until I get it.... :(

MoscowMom said...

I'm glad you had such a fun trip! It must be very nice for Rachel to meet new friends who share her native language. Speaking of which, how is her English coming along? Does she still love school?

Tonya said...

What lovely daughters you have! I just finished catching up. Looks like you guys are doing great:)