Tuesday, September 25, 2007

Packing lists

To pack or not to pack: that is the question. I already mentioned that I want to make sure I can keep up with Ukrainian fashion. Well, if I could've packed my entire wardrobe, maybe I would be able to accomplish that. But I doubt my husband would be very thrilled with this idea. So I guess I won't be as glamorous as I want to be. Maybe just 2 pairs of high-heeled boots/shoes will do?

All kidding aside, the packing list is a big deal in our family :) I know I need to pack light. But how light? Here is a list of things I compiled from reading various blogs and boards:

- Travel pack of toilet paper (some public restrooms in Ukraine don't have TP)
- A small bottle of antibacterial soap (for example, Purell)
- Wipes
- Small umbrella
- Ziploc bags (a lot of people say it's a life saver)
- Grocery bags (the supermarkets in Ukraine don't give out grocery bags)
- Adapters
- Feebreze (in case we'll need to wear the same clothes twice or more. It's acceptable in Ukraine :)
- Small alarm clock (not to oversleep SDA appointment :)
- Small gift bags (they make great gifts with the card and some money)
- Tape measure (easier to buy clothes for kids because the sizes in Ukraine are totally different from American)
- Flashlight (in case there is no electricity)
- Pen and paper (just in case you need to write something down, and you don't have time to go buy it)
- Peanut butter (we don't eat it, so we won't be taking it with us, but many people reported that peanut butter is expensive and hard to find)
- Books! Oleg and I are addicted to books, but we should be able to find plenty of books there as we read Russian. I don't think English books are readily available.
- Movies on DVDs to pass the time. Again, it's not the case for us, we'll be happy with Russian TV, but people report that being able to watch movies in English is a life saver.

The list goes on and on and on. If you can recommend something else that's essential for the travel, please let me know!

11 comments:

Tami said...

Thanks for the jump start on my packing list! :) Peanut butter is definitely at the top...followed closely by hot chocolate packets! :)

Courtney said...

I won't be taking any coffee or hot chocolate--I want my MacCoffee!! I loved it in Ukraine and had a friend from Georgia bring it back for me every time she went home. We will take some instant oatmeal, maybe malt-o-meal, but more for the kids to help transition them to US food while we're in UA. I know some people have had a hard time finding the same kind of oatmeal, etc. in the US as in UA. We eat pretty much anything so I'm not worried about that, and we can live without PB. I highly recommend the travel packs of Kleenex!! Those are invaluable every time we travel. I usually plan on a few packs per week.

Zack, Jenn and William said...

Isn't it fun to be to the point of planning and packing??? :)

And peanut butter is definitely on our list already!

Melissa E. said...

Oh,goody! A list! I love to see the lists. I like how you've put a little note beside the items to say what they are for. I can hardly wait to get to the packing stage!!

Leslie said...

Let me know when your list is finished so that we can make a copy of it! Well, everything except the high heels and the Russian stuff!

Nataliya said...

Come on, Leslie, just one pair of high heels will do :)

Mike & Tara said...

So great to see you're packing!! Hopefully we'll be close behind you. Best wishes!

Kimbell and Mark said...

Take a journal to record what's going on - you'll think you'll remember every second but you won't! Also some stuff to play with at the orphanage. We took connect four, deck of Uno cards, pipe cleaners & some crafty stuff to pass the time during the orphanage visits. We also took our laptop and the kids would watch movies on it at the orphanage and play games. Can't wait till you're over there!!!

ArtworkByRuth said...

Pack only what you need to get to Kyiv. You can buy almost anything now! Have your facilitators take you to the department store in downtown Kyiv or the Mega Market. We took a few granola bars for when we didn't have time to stop and eat...all day! Other than that, pharmacies have handi-wipes, travel packs of tissue, contact lens solution, OTC meds, etc that you can't get at the grocery stores. We lived without PB, we bought jam and nutella at the store instead! We went with just one bag each (summer time!)and packed an extra travel bag that folded into our suitcase. Good luck on your trip. PS; Good walking shoes with heels are a must! Everyone in Ukraine first greets you by looking at your shoes then your face!

Jim H. said...

I wish I had taken some American logo t-shirts to give away. Anything with American sports teams (especially NY Yankees) is a huge hit with the people you see on a regular basis. Other nick-nacks such as key chains also go over big. It is so exciting to be a part of your journey my friend!

The O'Haras said...

OK, something that is not on your list that I find is invaluable is at least 1 washcloth. I would also say it all depends on where you plan on staying here in Odessa. If you have friends and family to stay with you are probably fine, if you are going to hang out at Odessa Executive Suites, well they have a lot of things you won't need to bring. They have hair dryers and hot water pots, irons and toasters, microwaves, DVD player, clothes rack, etc. We have found microwave popcorn in the market, but some good American popcorn would have been great. Tracey also wishes she would have brought jeans. Here in the OES, with the drying rack and washer they would have been fine.

We also stopped at Costco before we left and got a bag of trail mix. This has been a life saver for snacks. The kids love it ans so do we...

For non Russian speakers, you might consider ripping a TV series down to xvid or something and dropping it on the laptop to bring over. It has been nice to have something to relax to.

If you know where you are going to be as well, and your pillow is not to big, I sure wish I would have had one that is comfy...Even if you were to leave it here when all is said and done, I miss my pillow!